Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Slacker?

Oh swine flu, my friend.
It's been funny to watch the change of tone in the emails I get from BYU this year as the H1N1 virus has spread. Teachers have been told that if their students miss school because of the flu, they must do everything they can to work with them. Test deadlines have been extended, and late work no longer requires a doctor's note, because doctors should be busy actually making people better, not signing notes all day. There are posters with big stop signs on them all over campus. They list symptoms of the swine flu and encourage anyone with any of those symptoms to stay home.
We're college students. We don't stay home for colds or headaches. Puking maybe. We might get behind! Heaven forbid. We tramp to school in sniffling, sneezing, tired hordes. The last few weeks I've had allergy problems, and every time I sneeze on campus I get dirty looks from all in the vicinity--looks that say, "people like you are the reason we are all dying of the flu."
I'm tired of these looks. And I'm just tired. And the administration has promised to take care of me, should I become ill, so I'm gonna take them up on it. And I have 3 or more of the symptoms listed on those stop sign posters (nevermind that one of them is fatigue, aren't we all fatigued?). So while I don't actually feel sick enough to skip out on school, I'm doing my part to prevent the spread of the swine flu.
Pretty much I'm staying home, lying around, and reading. Am I a bad person?

3 comments:

Courtney said...

Not at all! Can I stay home with you??

Isabelle Wright said...

Secretly, I played on that one too. :)

Anonymous said...

Bahahaha! I just love you Chelsie!!! That's the greatest! (also, your talk today was the greatest too! Really, I liked it a lot.)