Saturday, January 29, 2011

Soer Larsen: Part XII


Husbands are the bane of my existence.

Haha, like the title? It's so true though. Husbands ruin all my fun. We keep trying to teach women and the men always get in the way. There's a woman in our ward who's married to a non-member and I think the first thing she said to me and Sr. Gappmaier was, "Whatever you do, don't marry a non-member!" Ok. Lesson learned. We try to teach the men with them, but they don't like to talk to us. I do have to say, that is one thing I look forward to when I get back to Provo; talking to people who actually want to talk to me. Anywho. How are you all? Doing good? Doing stellar? Enjoying the winter? Me too. I like being a shapeless bundle of clothing everyday. I'll be kind of sad when people can actually see what I look like...
Anyway, what has been going on this week? Anything exciting? How's iact? How's Chris? I miss him. Want to hear about my week? I'm gonna go backwards, due to memory loss problems thanks to overloading my brain. This morning we went in to get a medical checkup for my titre de sejour, so they'll let me live in France. Thanks man. It was traumatizing. It's ok though, because now I'm here to stay. Also we came up to the mission home because Sr. G and I are now sharing a car with Elder Ellis and Elder Costner and we had to learn how to drive stick. Oh manna I hate driving in France. It's like a whole country of people who drive like me, but with street signs I can't understand. Also they don't seem to have 4-way stops, you just kinda go. Yeah, imagine it. It's scary. Luckily Sr. G is good at it so she's the designated driver. Anyway while we were here President and the Assistants finished doing transfer decisions and President's not good at keeping secrets so I discovered that I....am staying in Versailles :) which means that I will also be in Versailles next transfer, because Sister Gappmaier is dying and they don't want to whitewash it, so hooray!! Which means I get to be here for Zeinab's baptism on the 12th! And hopefully a couple more...
Are you guys still praying for March 6th? You better be. It's going to be such a good day, we feel inspired about it. And we're working hard for it.
Next item of business... I really can't remember anything. Dang it. Oh, funny story. We're teaching two sisters, one of whom is a less-active member, the other who is an investigator, and they haven't spoken to each other in three years. The less active one knows we're teaching the investigator one, but the investigator one doesn't know we're teaching the less active one. And the less active one made us promise not to tell her. How awkward will that be when we get them both to church? Which we will, for sure :)
Other funny thing, I was frustrated the other night about how slowly people change. I was thinking we'd just come in, show them the obvious blessings of the church, testify, and bam. But then I get out here and it doesn't work that way. And then I remembered the thousands of late night talks with dad that finally made me change, and I realized hey, I'm among my own! Haha. I guess that's what I get for being so stubborn. A mission in Paris. I guess I can't complain.
Oh also we have a new Polish investigator! And in exchange for changing her life with the gospel, she's teaching me Polish. Sr. G and I were counting the other day and we know how to say goodbye in 20 languages, including Bafang and Malagassy(whatever they speak in Madagascar) and Lingallah(whatever they speak in the Congo). So I feel really cool.
Also remember the Muslim lady I told you about? We went by to see her yesterday and she was just so excited!! She's so incredibly welcoming and loving. And I'm for reals going to Morocco to hang out with her big Muslim family. She kept saying that, "When you come to Morocco you'll see..." this is after we baptize her of course. We're not supposed to proselyte to Muslims because their families will kill them if they convert, but apparently it's ok if they're from Morocco? Because it's not a completely Muslim country, or something? Anyway we were talking to her and her only hang-up is that she doesn't believe Jesus Christ is the son of God, she said if she sees the proof that he is she and her daughter would get baptized right away. She really seems to be seeking truth. So she asked for proof and we gave her a book of mormon, she kept hugging it to her chest and promising to read it, we even left her another copy because she wanted one for her neighbor. So we'll see how that turns out. It's been surprising and sad to see how many people won't accept what we say, even when the proof of it is right in front of their eyes. So I'm hoping she really is open to learning it.
So in summary, things are going well! I felt really bad, actually, I was talking to one of my MTC elders the other day who's in Calais and he said he has yet to teach an actual missionary lesson, and then he asked about how things were going in Versailles and it was the day we'd fixed a baptismal date with Zeinab... it's all just blessings from the Lord though, if I've learned anything so far it's that. Sometimes the Lord moves in mysterious ways. Like the other day when our splits we'd planned fell through and then everything worked out better than we'd planned... long story. Are these emails boring ever? You should let me know. I'll be on tomorrow to check transfer emails, even though I know how my transfer's going...
Ok I really am done. Being boring. Haha.
I'm off. Have a fantastic day! I love you all!

 Anywho, I forgot something! So, I can't tell any details yet, it's a secret. Bwahaha. BUT.... BIG THINGS are going down in Versailles. I need you all to pray that March 6th goes the way it's supposed to. You all got that? It's a very important date. March 6th. K. I'll let you know how it goes down. Be excited :) 

No comments: