Monday, May 9, 2011

Soer Larsen: Part XXV


Hey! It feels like I was just talking to you yesterday! Haha. Imagine that.
It was so good to talk to you guys, and so weirdly normal. I'm glad I haven't been homesick or anything, and it just feels like I'm off on a jolly adventure for a bit and that I'll be home in no time. So it was fun to talk to you. Daryl sounds so old and manly, and Chris actually talked! Miracle! Haha. I hope the rest of your Mother's Day was awesome :)
So the scripture I found this week that I LOVED and wanted to share was D&C 136:17,30-31. It was a good reminder for me, because sometimes it's easy to get discouraged by how much work it takes to get people to progress and change and overcome all the opposition in their path to baptism, but I love the reminder from the Lord that our enemies are in His hands and that they do not have power against his work. We need to have faith like Mormon! (3 Ne. 5:20-26) As the Lord liveth, even so shall it be. I love how simple the gospel really is! I love being a missionary and being so immersed in it that everything becomes so clear. Disobedience becomes such an obvious stumbling block, sin becomes so obviously unpleasant, and the power of God becomes so clearly manifest. In my free time, while waiting for buses or just before going to bed, I've been reading the stories of different missionaries in the Book of Mormon and seeing how they managed to have such success and such an influence on those they taught. In all instances, the power unto the convincing of men was a gift given to those willing to open their mouths, to pray, to fast, to study the scriptures, to testify. I love the story of Enos, (Enos 1:12) where we can see this too. After we pray and labor with all diligence, the Lord grants unto us according to our desires. As a missionary all I want in the whole wide world is the ability to teach clearly and simply the gospel of Christ; in such a way that those who hear it will KNOW that it is true. And I've found how much these blessings given to the missionaries in the Book of Mormon are available to every missionary today! I've seen the Lord work miracles this transfer as Sister Judd and I have increased our faith and made a greater effort to testify to everyone. The Lord has never left me hanging. Obviously I'm not at Nephi or Lehi level yet, but I have no doubt that as we continue in obedience and with faith and hard work, the Lord will continue to answer our prayers and bless us with success.
There is a quote from Elder Holland that my companion shared with me that I LOVE, and I forgot to bring it to share with you. But he talks about the urgency of the work and how this is the time to call down angels and miracles from heaven. He tells us to have the faith to step into the darkness, to say, "Father, without thy help I will fall. Help me fly" He tells us to go to the edge where miracles happen. Work by faith until you would expect to open your eyes and see angels standing before you. Welcome to the apostolic work! There are definitely miracles at work here in Europe, I've seen them.
I had funny stories I was going to share, but now I just feel like it would ruin the mood... oh well. Yesterday on the tram home Sister Judd and I got hit on by a 50 year old lady. It was the most uncomfortable thing of my life. She kept making kissy faces at us and we were trying not to laugh. And yesterday after the musical number in sacrament meeting everyone started clapping.
Oh I've gotten so used to awkward situations, I don't think I'll even feel awkward again in my life. After living in Europe, nothing could phase me.
Anyway I love you all!! You're the best family and friends a girl could ever want :) Keep up the awesome stream of letters! Thank you for everything! I'm excited to see you all again in t-minus 12 months. Ish.
Love love love,
Soeur Larsen

No comments: