Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Spoiled, part 3. Aka "Last the Best of All the Game"

The title is misleading, because actually part 2 was my favorite story of the series. But I thought it, so then I had to use it. To avoid hurting my brain's feelings.

Ok, story number 3.

December 2014. Washington, DC.

In which the author makes terrible life choices and somehow everything turns out okay anyway. 

So, January 2014 I moved from Provo, Utah to Washington, DC. I was a college grad in an expensive city, it was my first time being big-girl in charge of myself, and I got my first credit card.

The perfect storm.

By December 2014, I had a good chunk of debt. Whoopsies.

I'd actually racked most of it up in the first half of the year, and had spent the second half trying to chip away at it. In the grand scheme of things, I hadn't been in debt that long, or been trying to pay it off for very long either. But I was done with that phase. I was like, I get it, debt is bad, my bad, I want to be done with this.

So I prayed.

I said, hey, I'm sorry about living beyond my means and getting into debt. And I realize that chipping away at it little by little for a few years would probably build character, but I really don't love that idea. I would really love to somehow make a large chunk of money and be able to pay off all my debt at once and then just continue on my merry way. So, if you could help me figure out a way to do that, that would just be amazing. Thanks.

**Not that the two of you who read this will care because you love me so very deeply and forgive me my obvious character flaws, but I just wanted to note that I'm not advocating for flippant prayers or calling on God like you would a handyman (as Angela from the Office would say, "God is not your caterer."). This really is about how the actual prayer went, but mostly because I didn't think that was the kind of prayer that got answered, I was just voicing it. But then it did. So...yeah. Most of my prayers sound more reverent and normal than this. And I don't always ask for things. If I did I would probably have more things.

Anyway.

A few weeks later, the woman who owned the small company I did website work for approached me. I had been working more or less full-time for them, and she said that the company did not have any upcoming contracts and therefore didn't know how much they would make in the coming year. She suggested that instead of continuing to work full time and getting paid hourly, the company put me on retainer. This meant they would pay me a lump sum and then I would work as needed until the sum was spent. She proceeded to write me a large check, oblivious to the fact that she was answering my prayer.

#Nailedit

I paid off my debt, worked off the rest of my hours, and moved to San Diego and got a new job just as the money was running out. Then I married this sucker who pays for my stuff now.

So, there you have it. 3 ridiculous prayers, each more selfish than the last, all answered because #PrayerWorks and because sometimes Heavenly Father is just cool.


The end.

PS, this is my 400th post! Whoa. 400 posts in 10 years. Yikes. You guys have put up with a lot.

3 comments:

Lindy said...

I had a hard time deciding which post to comment on. They all made me laugh and smile. You have such incredible faith to call on God's power to make something happen. He must love you A LOT. I love all of the stories. What made you want to write about them right now? Anyway, with baby on the way anyday now- I have plenty to be praying for. Thanks for inspiring me to have more meaningful prayers and to look for the answers. You're quite the example Chuls. Miss you

accordingtothywill said...

Loved all three of these stories, and I LOVE your conversational, hilarious writing style! You are #seriouslysoblessed, as am I.

accordingtothywill said...

I think your writing is the best when it's just free-slowing like this and lacking self-consciousness. It seems to me that is your voice.