
Oh, how I love my beautiful, wonderful little Utah Valley.
But I was so sad when I had to leave Bakersfield. It's the armpit of California, at least two hours from anything, and has the #3 worst air in the United States of America. My allergies went crazy, my nose was always running, I had two asthma attacks, I got fat, and didn't tan.
But the people there are amazing. The church there is amazing. The missionary work going on there is amazing. And the people I met changed me and the way I will see people in the future. The members in Bakersfield pray for a temple in their area, and until then they make the 3 hour drive to LA. They reach out to each other, though they are many different nationalities and have many backgrounds, and probably more than half are converts.
I didn't expect to really make friends, especially not close ones. I spent the first few weeks going to work and then reading at home, and going to bed at 9:30.
Then one Saturday I went and got lost trying to find an institute activity. It took me an hour to find it, and when I did I was crying, and sweating like a pig because the air conditioning in my car didn't work.
I sat in my car, unwilling to join the group of strangers at the park, nervous about the forced conversations I knew I would have, and I prayed. I begged for help.
When I finally walked over, I was too exhausted to put on any sort of show, or to pretend to be anyone more interesting or outgoing than myself.
And that was when I actually made friends.
The next Sunday I gave a talk, and was given a calling. Suddenly everyone in my ward knew who I was. Everyone turned into a friend, and I was grateful for every comment.
I remember when I first moved here and saw my ward, I said that there were no attractive men, and even if there were, I wouldn't have any competition.
I must've been walking around with my eyes closed.
The only reason I was able to leave those people is because most of them promised to visit me in Provo. And I'm set on going back to visit over Christmas break. And it helps to have the gospel's eternal perspective, to know that if I continue in righteousness, those people will always be my brothers and sisters in the Church.
Bakersfield felt like another home.
But I have to admit, after 8 1/2 hours of driving, when I came out of that canyon and passed Payson, and my beautiful, beautiful valley opened up in front of me, I couldn't imagine ever comparing it to Bakersfield. I LOVE Utah. I belong here. It's gorgeous.
It even smells better here.
I'm SO glad to be home, and content to stay home.
And I can't wait to see all you wonderful people :)
1 comment:
glad to have you back :) oh and btw, i love reading YOUR blog :) you're one of those people I admire!
Post a Comment