Monday, September 14, 2009

Oh gems

So, yesterday there was a CES Fireside, and I couldn't find anything anywhere to take notes on. As we rushed out the door I noticed my old, old journal from when I was like, ten, so I grabbed it.

Oh what a treasure.

I was such a verbose child, really.
Here's one entry:
"Dear diary,
Today is what some people might call a beautiful day. I hate it! (the word hate is outlined in green marker, just in case the reader didn't catch the weight of that word) For some reason, I hate blue sky! I like stormy weather much better than sunny. In Primary mom did a great sharing time. She held up some pictures."

Yup. That's how it ended.
I just needed to keep the reader in suspense.
Then there's some torn out pages (I'm so sad about those! I wish I knew what I wrote there!)

Then a few pages later, there's a page marked "First Entry"
Apparently every six months or so, I would feel guilty about not ever writing, so I would try and start over, and pretend it was a new journal. And I would re-introduce myself each time.
"I'd better tell you about myself first. My name is Chelsie Larsen, I am 12 years old, and the oldest in a family of 5 kids. I am the first counselor in the Beehive Presidency. I turned 12 in July, and I almost have my Beehive 1 Award."

In my next entry, I had turned 13 and was about to try out swim team for the first time.
Then my grandpa died. That entry was about 3 sentences long.
The next three entries or so I was 14.
And that was the end of my journal.

How sad is that?
Ok but the cool part of the journal is that the first part of it was my mom writing about me, from my birth until I was about 4 years old.
It was eye-opening and fun to read, to see which things are different now, and which things stayed the same.
And I want to do it for my kids someday.

Like, apparently my eyes were bright blue when I was born! I wish they'd stayed that way.
And I guess I had an "uncanny memory". That would come in handy right about now.
By the age of 3 I could quote "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" verbatim.
If only I had such worthwhile skills now.
THEN I'd be employed.

I hope you guys have better journal entries than I did.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Can you still quote how the Grinch stole Christmas verbatim?
Oh and that is soo cool that your Mum kept a journal for you! Awesome idea! I love reading back over my old journals! I'm not good at writing but I tried :/

BiggieKen said...

That's pretty cool about your journal. Way cool that your mom did that for you. How awesome was that CES broadcast?

Courtney said...

I agree with what you said about the excitement on campus! Everyone goes crazy when he come. :) I loved his devotional! He's so incredible and we are so blessed!