Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Spiritchal Stuff


So if there's one thing I love about BYU, it's the united admiration of the Prophet shared by the entire student body. Everyone loves President Monson.
Example: President Monson came to give the Devotional on Tuesday morning in the Marriott Center.
Devotional starts at 11:05
I joined the line at 8:30, and it was already wound halfway around the building.
The people at the front of the line had sleeping bags.
By 11:05, there wasn't a single empty seat in the house.
The Marriott Center holds 22,700 people, and I don't know if that counts the people on the floor.

You could feel it in the air, we were all waiting for something.
I don't know about anyone else, but I needed something profound, some secret tips about how to go about life. I couldn't wait to see the Prophet. I felt like I'd be safe once he was there.
President Monson has a way of making everyone feel comfortable, making everyone feel like everything will be ok, that the things we worry about today will become the things we can laugh about tomorrow.

His message wasn't a secret formula for being better, it wasn't a pulpit-pounder.
But it was so funny. He talked about 9 of the prophets he's worked with.
(9!! Has anyone else been friends with that many prophets?! Geez louise.)
He made them seem like real people.
He told funny stories about them, he made funny faces, he told us all their favorite foods.
For anyone who didn't see/hear it, I recommend finding it and watching it.
It made me want to be good just so that in the next life I can meet all these men.

But never fear, for those who wanted a direct, rousing message, there was the CES Fireside on Sunday with Sister Elaine S. Dalton. The topic? Leading the world in a return to virtue.
(Sorry this is a long post! So much good stuff going on, ya know...)
I was writing furiously the whole time, so
here's a few of my favorite thoughts:
You have what it takes, and now is the time for the run of your life
This journey will take everything you and I have
Zion was then, and is now the goal. Lay hold of EVERY good gift, and TOUCH NOT the unclean thing.
NOW is the time to return to virtue. At the core of virtue is chastity. Return to purity.
Virtue is having the strength, power, ability to heal.
Virtue is the golden key that unlocks temple doors and the temple is the point of everything we do in this church. A return to virtue is a return to the temple. A return to the temple is a return to the Savior.
YOU have a great work to do. YOU matter. Your decisions matter. If you can be distracted or delayed from entering the temple, Satan wins.
You have been prepared, called, chosen. This is your time. You must act on the faith you already possess.
There were no neutral spirits in the war in heaven, and there can be no neutrality now.
You are the generation to prepare the world to meet God
A return to virtue can save this nation from the social, emotional, economic crises. If we don't lead that return, who will?
This is your work. This is the run of your life.
Have a strict training program--include daily prayer and scripture study.
If we all commit to read the Book of Mormon for just 5 minutes every day, in 5 years this world will be a different place.
Smile, and remember who you are.
Press forward with a perfect brightness of hope
and " I will prepare you against these things"
"My angels shall be round about you, to bear you up"
...............

I dare you not to act differently after hearing that.

2 comments:

Emily said...

WOW. I'm so using this for my Sunday post. When I was at BYU the lines for President Hinckley were always like that. I would skip morning classes and go save seats for my friends (because apparently I was the only one lame enough to skip my classes).

A. L. Martin said...

Seriously! I LOVED Both of those addresses! AMAZING! Ps: we miss you. ALOT.