Thursday, September 2, 2010

Epiphany

Epiphany, while being a wonderful word in its own right, is also the middle name of one of my bestest friends. So therefore even more awesome, and you have learned something new today. I hope you feel blessed.
Anyway, I had one today.
And then I stuck my head out of the shower (admit it, all your great epiphanies come to you in the shower too) and told Jaime.
And she gave me a look that seemed to say, you are a very slow learner.
And then she said, "just take your shower."

Are you ready? Here it is.
There's enough joy to go around.
There's enough joy available in the world, thanks to our Savior Jesus Christ, for every single person in it to be completely, breathtakingly joyful.
Man is that he might have joy.
Ever thought of that as a commandment?

Ok, maybe this isn't news.
But to me, the thought was interesting.
It came after I had been talking to a friend
about another friend
and all the wonderful things she is doing with her life

and I may have started to get jealous.
I started to think that, comparatively,
I would never have as good a husband. Or as good a job.
I would never be as spiritual. Or beautiful.
Or have as peaceful and beautiful a home.
It was kind of a "there's-only-so-much-pie-and-you-just-got-a-really-big-piece"
feeling.
But she's my friend.
I want to be happy for her.

And it came to me, as I pondered it.
Epiphany.
Joy. Love. Beauty. Spirit. These are things that multiply as they are shared.
It's like a never ending pie!

The Lord is running his own 24-hour pie buffet! And he doesn't even charge you.
He's begging you to come, and bring all of your friends.
Joy is everywhere. It comes in the temple, in our family and friends, in the sky, in the trees, in the sunlight, in the stars. Joy is in everything my little brother does, it is in service, it is in music, it is in food. It is in the hope for a better tomorrow. It is in faith. Faith that no matter what is happening in the world around us, the Creator of the Universe is in charge. And you'll know you're safe when he knows your face, because you're a regular at his buffet.

New epiphany: I seem to be hungry. Look at all those food references.

2 comments:

Emily said...

You make me wish I had gone on a mission SO bad.

Summer said...

I really liked this - and I needed it today! Thanks!