Sunday, March 27, 2011

Soer Larsen: Part XIX

How are you all?? You're the best. I had weird dreams about you guys this week. But this whole week was weird. I've never been so profoundly bone-tired in my life. But it's good, I had to man up. And as dad would say, you have to be a man before you can be a woman. 
Anyway. This week was uneventful. Except OH WAIT, no it wasn't. Haha. First story: so last saturday at about 7 in the morning we got a phone call and I totally couldn't understand what was happening. It was from the friend of one of our less-actives and she was speaking half french and half spanish and saying something about a vision and needing us to come over. Fast forward, the next day I'm sitting in Relief Society and who should walk in but Martha, the less active! We've been trying so hard to get her to church so seeing her walk in just got me so excited I may have teared up. Until she came and sat down next to me and took my hand and started praying loudly enough for all the ladies sitting in front of us to turn around. She went on like that for the entire hour going between telling me how it was all thanks to me that she was at church and then telling me about this vision she apparently had where she had seen the second coming. During Sunday School we pulled her and her friend Gloria aside to have a lesson and figure out what this was all about and during the opening hymn Gloria suddenly started sobbing and then yelled and threw herself facedown on the ground and started talking and then Martha started prophesying with her eyes closed about all the terrible things that are going to happen and about the seventh trump sounding and I just had absolutely no idea what to do. It was a special day. We got them to calm down and there's been some interesting things having to do with that happening since, but I think it's going to work itself out. The good news is that Martha says that now she knows the Lord loves her and her kids and that this is his true church. So, yeah....
Monday contacting in Paris was fun, this time we ran into 2 Mormon families! Yay Mormons! Also I met my first Jehovah's Witness. She was super nice, but super frustrating to talk to. At the end she was like, I think what you're doing is great, I just think you should spend more time talking about the Bible and less time talking about this other book. And I said, if you only knew. Also we met a big tall giraffe man who kept asking me if I was sure I wasn't from Bolivia or Paraguay or China and he kept pulling his eyes shut and telling me my eyes were like 'this'. I do not have squinty eyes! And then he saw my companion and was like, you are american! Look at those big blue eyes! And then he grabbed her and kissed her on the cheek. I probably should've tried harder to save her...
Friday was the most exciting day of all! I went to Brussels for the day! Me and a bunch of elders (it was so weird, I had 10 elders as companions during the 2 hour train ride) headed up for legality and when we got there I was reunited with Sister Williams!! I love her! And miss her. And guess who else I got to hang out with? None other than Elder McCarlie. Nothing like seeing a face from home :) 
After all the excitement, by the time Sister Reeves and I finally got home we were pooped. It was then that I realized that I'd left the keys to the apartment.... inside the apartment. Good thing we only live twenty minutes away from the office and the elders don't mind changing back out of their pajamas to come bail us out. 
Sorry this email isn't spiritual! I was just antsy all week to tell you the crazy stories. 
The work is going really great. Zeinab is the best convert ever and she even came teaching with us twice this week and has started talking about serving a mission. She's so elect. And Rita, who is getting baptized in a month-ish, is so golden!! She already knows everything! The spirit's just been spending her whole life teaching her and now she's finally found the church that also teaches what she believes. It's so weird and so cool to get to be there to just kind of watch and really not do anything as the Spirit leads prepared people by the hand, right into the waters of baptism :) 
And I'm so beyond excited for General Conference next weekend! It's going to be a million times better as a missionary!! I'm mostly excited to watch our amis experience it for the first time. Pray for Rui! He needs to feel the Spirit. He just needs a little push, he's almost there. He already agreed to be baptized, he just wants to read the whole book of mormon first. He just seems a little nervous about something and he doesn't like it when we focus on him so we can't figure out what it is. Anyway. Are you guys excited?

No comments: