Saturday, March 19, 2011

Soer Larsen: part XVIII


I have officially been on my mission for 5 MONTHS as of tomorrow. That was the fastest five months of my life!!

So much has happened since last week! Last Saturday was a not so good day. So, at the end of the day, since we decided things couldn't get much worse, we decided to do something we'd been joking about doing for a long time. So, one of the quirks about France that is very dear to my heart is that there are random bums that often get on the train and play various instruments and sing and then collect money. And secretly I wish I were one of them. So, last Saturday we went singing on the train. Haha! I know! Yours truly stood up in the train in the middle of France, in front of everyone, and sang hymns. It was so good! People loved us. We met a drunk guy named Helder who started talking to Sister Gappmaier and turns out he says he can't believe in God because his father beat his mother but she gave him a Book of Mormon and he's going to be taught by the elders. And we met a British guy who was super nice and asked all about our missions and what exactly we were doing and then when we got off the train he said, "Good luck with your crusade!" haha, so good. I love people. Then Sunday we had stake conference! So many Mormons in one place, it made my heart happy. And it was so fun to see all the missionaries! I love hanging out with missionaries. We're the best, what can I say? 

Tuesday was exciting too. It is a miracle story. So, Tuesday we taught a woman named Tessy. Now, the first time I ever met Tessy she was angry at us for having brought her cookies and a card. The next time we saw her was for our first rendezvous and it was the worst. The Spirit was just not there. I left the rendezvous thinking, I do not want to teach that woman. And she didn't really seem to want to be taught, which helped my motivation even MORE. So then, for our rendezvous on Tuesday, I was feeling feisty. She had mentioned the last time about how churches ought to help people and give  them money so I decided we should teach her about how it's the other way around. We decided to teach tithing. So we went in and talked first about the blessings of tithing and she was like yeah, the Lord always blesses us for obedience, and the Lord is all-powerful, so then we were like, "BAM! Pay your tithing and he'll take care of you!" And she couldn't really argue with us, having just testified of it herself. But then I was like, don't worry, you don't even get to live this law yet. Because you're not a member of the Lord's church. And then she was like, "Well how to I prepare to be baptized?" Say WHAT now? That's right, she's getting baptized. It was weird. Testify of truth and the elect will come. That's how we roll. 

Wednesday was sad. We joined up with all the dying missionaries (Because Gappy was dying) for their Paris p-day and first off we went to Angelina's which is the most ridiculous waste of money in the whole wide world. DON'T GO THERE. 18 euros for a breakfast which included hot chocolate, juice, and three SMALL and not especially impressive pastires. Don't worry, I didn't get that. I got the cheapest thing I could find which was a Japanese cheesecake which was delicious. I don't know why I'm telling you all this, it doesn't even matter. Anyway after breakfast my dear mother/trainer and I parted ways. It was a sad moment. And then Sister Reeves and I were on our own. Dun dun dun. No worries, so far we are doing just great. It helps that she's the bomb at French and super righteous. We've had some really cool experiences even in the last couple days. I've been praying my heart out to be able to understand everything people are saying since I can't just turn to Sister Gappmaier anymore when I don't understand. And we all know that prayers are answered :) 

Yesterday was a learning day. I don't really know how to describe it and everything that happened. Let's just say that it was a long, elaborate answer to a question I've been asking since I got here. So here's what happened, and then I'll share some thoughts that probably don't connect. Haha! Oh well. You can connect them yourself. It's a spiritual test :) So yesterday was busy busy and then by the end of the day I was WIPED out and it was raining and dreary and we went to pass by an old ami that I've never met. She CHEWED us out. She was not happy that we had come by and had been so persistent at the door. She was standing up, yelling at me, telling me I couldn't know there was a God when all these terrible things were happening in Japan. She kept telling me how young I was and how rude it was to have come without an appointment and all these things. I was speaking faster than I ever have in my life, trying to keep up with her, and I was praying, and then I think my brain just shut down. I started to cry. And then I don't know what happened, I guess she took pity on us. She opened up about herself and about her religious past and how she had started talking to the missionaries in the first place and then she spent about ten minutes telling me to be careful not to get raped since I'm so pretty. She ended up by saying that she didn't want to talk to us about God and that most people in France didn't either and that what I was doing was good but that we'd be helping people more by teaching them how to get a job. I told her that was ridiculous. I told her God meant everything to me. She told me to say a prayer and leave. We left and I just wanted to cry. I was tired out. But you know what else? I was at peace. As we walked to the next apartment building the scripture from Psalms 23 (of all the random scriptures...) kept going through my head, "though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, yet I will fear no evil." And it took on a different meaning this time. Now, I am by no means walking through any sort of valley of death. My mission has been the most wonderful 5 months of my life, hands down. But I realized that I don't even have to be discouraged. I don't have to fear the forces of evil that have slowly hardened that poor woman's heart, the forces of evil that keep my amis from coming to church, any force of evil ever. I have done thus far what I have come out here to do and as long as I continue to do so, I don't know how, but the Atonement of the Savior somehow makes up for the rest. I couldn't help, as we walked away from that woman, thinking of the day when she will meet the Savior, and she will see exactly how merciful and guiding he was in her life, and he will wipe her tears away. I just imagine the love she will feel. And she can know that I knew what I was talking about :) 

Anyway the night ended well because the Lord is merciful and Rita was home! So we got to meet her family and sit and read Moroni 10 with them and I just felt the Spirit and it felt like I was at home. Best feeling ever :)
And then today was p-day! Which is always lovely. And I finally went to the Chateau de Versailles (I know, I've lived here for 3 months and I finally went inside) and that building is out of control! And the gardens! I mean, they were all dead and gray-looking, since it's March, but still. 

In sum, I LOVE France. I love the French people with all my heart and soul. My heart goes out to them. Many of them see the forces of evil at work around them and they are hanging on to their families and their religious beliefs with everything they have. I admire them for it. I pray each day to know how to show them to ease up just enough to let us show them more :) Haha, just thinking about it is tearing me up. Thanks Grandma, for those genes...( that's for Grandma Donna, who cries easily, and we love her for it! Doneen) ) I LOVE these people. Pray for them, they are absolutely wonderful. And they're taking good care of me. 

I hope you all are doing lovely :) Sorry I feel like these emails are so selfish, I just talk about me all the time. How are you all? Those Christianisms you send me are hilarious, I love that kid. Who trained him, man. Thanks for the constant stream of letters, you are the best :)
I love you all to little bits and pieces!

Love love love,
Soeur Larsen 

No comments: