Monday, February 27, 2012

Soeur Larsen: Part XLVI

Hello again! Happy 20th of February! Today is my 16th month mark! Which means I only get 17 months and a week and a day, when all is totalled up. I'm feeling kind of gypped right now.
Well, this week was great. Sr. W stayed sick Monday and Tuesday (apparently she's cursed and get's sick every Valentine's Day, fun....) so Tuesday I perfected the art of the sugar cookie. I'm not kidding, the cookies I produced were beautiful. They look like Granny B's except better because I made them. And ever since then we've been delivering them. It's funny trying to explain a sugar cookie to a french person, they're like, don't all cookies have sugar?
I think my mission has taught me patience, especially with people. I've learned to see and be excited by even the smallest baby step in the people I teach. And each disappointment or trial, every bit of fatigue, is all made up for in the love that the Lord pours into our hearts, and the Spirit that fills us with hope and keeps us going. This week we had the opportunity to visit an inactive member of the branch and as we taught her I was surprised by the love that I felt for her as I listened to her talk. I don't know her well, I've only met her once before. But as she cried telling us about the things she's struggling with, I wanted to just throw my arms around her. We read to her from President Uchtdorf's talk, "Forget me not" and the Spirit in the room was tangible. I love loving people into the Church. Once at a training with a member of the Seventy, he asked us what it was that kept us going when everything else made us want to give up, and I thought of the love of our Heavenly Father and of our Savior. When it feels like nothing could make things right, or nothing could make me go on, it's been the knowledge that they love me and believe in me and would do and have done anything for me that has helped me get up again and put one foot in front of the other. Since then it has been that, more than anything, that I try to share with the people I teach.
Off my soap box...
Oh funny story this week, we had to teach the law of Chastity to a couple we're teaching who are living together. This might sound wierd, but the law of chastity might be my absolute favorite thing to teach. Because the blessings are just out of control. And because it's something that many people here have never heard. Anyway we got to their apartment and Kevin was there alone in a a rather depressed state so we made him get up and come outside, get some fresh air, and learn about the law of chastity! It was funny. He started listing off all the reasons his life is terrible because he hasn't lived the law of chastity and he went on for quite a while. So long, in fact, that we had about five minutes left to teach. So we went on about a wonderful thing that the Lord has given us to avoid all those terrible feelings of fear and jealousy and guilt and who knows what else so that we can have wonderful happy families! And then we handed him True to the Faith, dog-eared on the section about chastity, and told him his homework was to read it and focus on the blessings. He opened the book, read the title, and started to giggle. Sometimes people think we're joking.
I'm SO TIRED! I've never been so tired in my whole life. Which puts me in that state where everything is funnier than it normally should be. So, good news, I spend a good part of my time laughing. Also this week, while still cold, has been less so, and the SUN IS SHINING! Hooray! So I go about my days in awe, remembering that I'm living my dream. The Lord is good to me.
I love you all!

Soeur Larsen

No comments: