Thursday, February 7, 2013

Smile, DANG IT!

Yesterday I got a haircut that I hate.
My roommate said I complain about my hair a lot.
I glared at her.
Today I decided to be grumpy.
I wore a sweatshirt, pulled the hood up, and hid from the world.
I wanted to move away from my ward where I don't know anyone and my roommates I don't hang out with, back to the safety of my parents house. I cried to my mom. I whacked my sister with a towel when she suggested my mood had something to do with boys.
I revved my engine at two pedestrians who decided it's cool to just cross the street 50 feet from the crosswalk.

I dreaded going to work all day, because I would have to reveal my hair.
And I KNEW my missionaries would comment on it.
While they were busy teaching in the TRC (where members volunteer to be taught), I decided something.
I thought, everyone likes someone who is nice to them, right?
Even if they have terrible hair.
So when one of the volunteers came walking down the hall, I stopped her and thanked her for volunteering.
I told her what a blessing it was for the missionaries.
She said it was a huge blessing for her.
We exchanged smiles.
I felt warm and fuzzy.

Afterwards, my missionaries told me they liked my hair. One told me I would even look good bald.
Missionaries are the best in the world.
I left the MTC and became grumpy again within moments.
Sometimes you just want to be grumpy, dang it!
But hey, I had one shining moment this afternoon.

No comments: