Like any girl, I've wondered my whole life about meeting the man I would marry.
I've wondered how it would feel.
Lately I've been wondering more about the realities of marriage.
Like moving away, following my husband wherever his life may take him. Trying to take care of myself, as well as him. Sharing myself 100%, the good and the bad. Sick days and budgets and the whole caboodle.
I've heard that it's hard, and I've also heard that it's worth it.
I'm willing to do it, but I have one condition.
When I give myself to a boy, and promise to love him and listen to his counsel as well as the Lord's, forever and ever, to comfort and lift him, to communicate with him, to pray with and for him, I need him to understand one thing.
I want him to know how much I'm worth.
I was praying tonight, for that very thing.
I said, "Father, please teach the man I'm going to marry about how much I'm worth. Teach him about how amazing women are. Teach him to appreciate me."
You know what He said back?
He said, "You teach him."
So, boys, listen up. This is what I want you to know.
I need you to understand something about me. And by me, I mean women in general. I don't care who you are, or what you have accomplished in life, what I have to say is true about you. You marry me, and I will be the best thing that ever happened to you. Not because of me, but because of something that is so fundamentally a part of me that I couldn't root it out even if I wanted to.
I am God's crowning creation. I am comfort, and caring, and laughter, and smiles, and fresh cookies, and jam, and understanding, and curiosity, and wisdom, and virtue, all rolled into one package. I was created to comfort the comfortless, to dry tearful eyes, to hear the silent cries of the heart. I have a heart made to laugh, to be amazed by the beautiful, and to be filled with the sorrow of the whole world. I am always learning, always creating, always seeking understanding.
You and I, we were both sent to earth to experience. We are neither of us perfect.
Neither of us really understands who we are or what we are meant for.
The beauty of it all is that we need each other.
We will only find out how high we can go if we do it together.
You are so important to what I do.
Because sometimes I will be tired. Sometimes I will be rude. Sometimes I will be clumsy and incapable.
And I will need you. I will need you to comfort me sometimes. I will need you to forgive me. I will need you to be patient with me. I will need you to provide answers.
I need you to do these things while remembering that I am this way because I was born for infinitely more and I'm still learning how to handle it.
In this way we will lift each other.
I was born to be a queen. To rule forever, to be honored by an uncountable posterity.
You were born to be a king. To rule forever. To direct the workings of the universe, with me by your side.
I need you to look at me like I'm a queen. I need you to be awed and overwhelmed by the opportunity that you have to be with me. Equal partners with me. I need you to know these things before I give myself to you.
This is my one condition.
4 comments:
C'est très belle, Chelsie! But really, good sentiments.
(And I'm posting this so you can feel validation that writing reaches people; it does and it will).
I absolutely agree 100% with every word there. It is beautifully written and has touched my heart as many of us have known all those very truths but have inadequately unable to express it so neatly. Thanks Chels!
"I have a heart made to laugh, to be amazed by the beautiful, and to be filled with the sorrow of the whole world."
This is how I feel too as a woman. Love this post, you awesome lady, you!
Oh if only. :) I have a pretty terrific marriage but it gets weighed down so easily by the mundane of every day life. It is so hard, and we don't even fight. I can't imagine how much harder it is for people who fight (I have a friend who just told me they have a huge blowout at lease once a week, and last week she THREW HER LAPTOP AT HIS HEAD. Can you even imagine a marriage like that?). Beautiful, wonderful words. I want to be like you when I grow up.
Post a Comment