Saturday, November 1, 2014

No-TV November. Also, Confessions of an Addict.

So, hey blog, I missed you.
I have an embarrassing and almost astounding confession to make.

I work as a web developer, and I recently started watching TV while I work, because I liked having something else going on in the background. Then I started watching TV when I wasn't working. Then I started watching TV when I should have been sleeping.

During the month of October, I watched all 7 seasons of Gilmore Girls, all 9 seasons of the Office, and a smattering of other shows. This morning I added it all up and, if my math is right (and we all know how I am with math...) I spent over 350 hours, or about 15 days watching TV.

I SPENT HALF OF THE MONTH OF OCTOBER WATCHING TV.

THAT'S MORE THAN DOUBLE THE TIME I SPENT DOING ANYTHING ELSE, INCLUDING SLEEPING.

(Work and sleep each come out to roughly 160 hours)

This doesn't even include movies, which I watched a fair amount of, especially because I was trying to get a certain boy to cuddle with me.

(Which didn't work out, by the way. On an unrelated note, I have dubbed 2014 the Year of the Friend Zone)

I've heard admitting you have a problem is the first step.

The crazy thing is, I didn't really notice. I was doing lots of other things as well. I was more social than usual this month, I went on some great adventures, I read some great books, I painted. I talked to friends about the TV shows they were watching, and no alarm bell in my head ever went off that said we are a TV addicted society. I felt like I was being a normal 20-something. I didn't feel like others were more productive or successful than me. But can you imagine what else I could've done with that extra 350 hours?

I knew that watching TV wasn't the best thing I could be doing as I was doing it, but I only started to realize what a serious problem it was just this week. I noticed that I didn't like to be doing ANYTHING without TV going on in the background. Remember when I first got back from my mission, and I couldn't handle all the noise? I didn't like it if a TV was on in the house. I didn't turn on the radio in the car. I was shocked by all the NOISE.

This last week, I would turn the TV on almost right when I got up. I was proud of myself if I didn't start until I got to work. I could watch it on my phone in the bus. If I was watching something in my room and decided to make myself some lunch, I would carry my laptop with me into the kitchen. I would watch it while I ate.
I even (I'm ashamed as I'm writing this) would bring my laptop with me to the bathroom, so my tv show could be playing as I showered or brushed my teeth. Because heaven forbid I have to wait five minutes to discover what Lorelai said to Luke.

Last Monday night, Elder Kopischke of the Seventy was in the area and gave a special fireside for all the YSA. It was amazing, and I loved it. One of the things I left the fireside thinking was that I needed to start planning again the way I did on the mission - with brief nightly planning to go over what I'd gotten done and what I'd do the next day, and weekly planning sessions to set goals and re-evaluate. I loved the planning part of my mission, I loved how much I got done, and Monday night I decided I wanted to start that up again.

I tried to hold my first weekly planning Thursday morning, and found that I could not concentrate to save my life. I wanted to have the TV on, but I knew that would kill all hopes for an effective planning session, so I tried playing music and talks. But when I did this I couldn't sit down and focus, and when I couldn't focus I'd jump up and do something random. I'd get a snack from the kitchen, pick up things around my room. I brushed the hairs out of my shag carpet and came up with an impressively-sized hairball.

I've decided to take drastic measures to purge myself from all of this TV watching. So this month I'm celebrating No-TV November. No TV, no movies.

I blocked my TV watching sites from my computer and deleted their apps on my phone. Jaime's going to be my accountability buddy, I have to report each day and if I give in and watch TV I owe her $500. I had to make it an amount that would hurt, because I have become incredibly bad at self-discipline, and I could see myself giving in for just about any reason. Knowing that giving in will cost me 500 bucks will hopefully stop me. I guess we'll see how deep my self-destructive streak really runs.

I haven't come up with a good prize if I do go the whole month without TV. I like to think that a month without TV will be a reward in itself... But also I like prizes. Feel free to give suggestions.

Wish me luck! I'll let you know how it goes.

Because I know that at this point you're on the edge of your seats.

4 comments:

Debbie said...

I'm currently on season 3 of Gilmore girls. I started turning it on while I cooked dinner, did dishes and more recently while I sanded my table I'm refinishing. But then when you finish the project and the episode isn't over....that's when the trouble begins!
I understand.
Good luck on your quest!

BrittanyB said...

Gilmore girls is my weakness! I'm on season 3, and I watch it while I'm folding/ironing laundry, and any other chore I can think of to do in the front room. And Oh the temptation to continue watching all during Peter's nap time! It's a struggle. Be Strong!

accordingtothywill said...

Ooooh man, I can totally relate! So, since your consequence if you give in is so serious, I think your reward if you succeed should be equally serious. Maybe like every week that you don't watch tv, you reward yourself by going on an "artist date" (idea from "The Artist's Way") where you go do something interesting and fun by yourself to stimulate your creativity. Like going to a museum, or play, or bookstore, or dance class, or a walk downtown! Something you really enjoy.

Emily said...

My husband ALWAYS has TV on. He is an epidemiologist and does a ton of data entry and analysis and has hulu or Netflix or something on in he background all day at work. He falls asleep to TV. He turns the tv on and then leaves the house, not turning it off! I am always turning it off when he leaves the room and he'll come back and turn it right back on. It doesn't really bother me I just think it's funny. I like TV a LOT but I don't have it on hardly ever because I'm too busy! But folding the laundry or doing mundane tasks, I have to have a show to help me through. Good luck with your goal! I would have a hard time!