Friday, August 7, 2015

Artist Statement

Guuuuuuuuysssss.
I need your help. I'm trying to write an artist's statement and I feel like a cotton-headed ninnymuggins. Also a bit like a fraud.
Help.




I was born with a crayon in my hand. I was always coloring. Also, everything always had to be “rainbow colored”, as in, all the colors. I wanted everything bright and bold and exciting.

As I’ve grown up, my love for color hasn’t evolved much. But my understanding of why I love it so much has. You see, I’m a dreamer. An idea person. I’m easily excited, especially by big ideas. My favorite big ideas are the promises found in holy writings such as the Bible, and the Book of Mormon. Whether or not you are a believer, these books are amazing to study just for the promises written inside them. They’re all over the place.

Things like, “eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither hath entered into the heart of man, the things that God hath prepared for them that love him.”

WHAAAAAAT.

My paintings are a clumsy overflow of the delight I feel when I read those things, and contemplate the idea of heaven. I’ve created in my mind a heaven that I’m so excited about, I can’t even handle it.

So I paint.

And if nothing else strikes you about the painting, I hope you feel the excitement. I hope you feel the same leap in your heart that I feel. I hope you feel all the possibility in the world opening up to you.

“Earth’s crammed with heaven, and every common bush afire with God.
But only he who sees, takes off his shoes”
-Elizabeth Barrett Browning

1 comment:

Lindy said...

I love how you write, and paint. I think you DO live with more excitement for life and this blog entry can help people to understand your perspective. I adore the last quote btw.

Now... I need more details. What is the artist statement for? Is this it? Did you want feedback on this? What part makes you feel like a fraud? Also- you should call me when you get a break at work because I'm not working until Friday and I live in Orem now so i have Signal!! yaya