Friday, March 18, 2016

I love to see the temple, I'm going there someday...

It's 2:30 am, and I'm awake.

I'm not sure what woke me up initially, but now my brain is up and I can't make it shut down so I'm going to write things. And then hopefully fall deeply asleep.

My brain is excited because a week from tomorrow, Andrew and I are getting sealed.

It's weird that it's happening, and it's weird that it doesn't feel weird at all. One year ago, Andrew wasn't a member of the Church yet. One year and one month ago, Andrew wasn't interested in becoming a member of the Church.

5 days ago, Andrew passed the sacrament, and then sat next to me, all handsome in his suit and tie, and held my hand. 6 days ago, Andrew and I spent the drive from LA to San Diego talking about the lesson he'd be giving in Gospel Principles on the scriptures and I thought my heart would burst with pride. 3 weeks ago, Andrew got up in the middle of the night to give me a priesthood blessing when I asked for one to calm my anxiety. Tonight Andrew sat next to me as we prayed, like we always do, and it's the best thing ever. Andrew prays the best prayers.

We're getting sealed in the Draper Utah Temple. People seem to be confused about that decision, since the City Center temple is new and fun and the Salt Lake temple is cooler. But 7 years ago, I attended the Open House of the soon to be dedicated Draper Temple. I thought it was the most beautiful temple I'd ever seen. We walked through the bride's dressing room and I saw myself there, in front of the mirror. I saw the dress I'd be wearing. I felt the absolute peace and the excitement I would feel.

I always thought that the day I got married and the day I got sealed would be the same day. God apparently saw something different.  Today I'm grateful that these two events happened 9 months apart, because they allowed my feelings to grow into the feelings that I anticipated on the day of my sealing.

Andrew and I were married when we had known each other less than 7 months. I wouldn't generally recommend it, but I felt the Lord with me every step of the way, and I felt confident in my decision to get married. We've learned a lot about each other since July 11 (7-11, we're so cool), but most of what I've learned is that God knows me better than I know myself, and Andrew is perfect for me. Andrew has my back. Andrew is my best friend and makes me laugh basically every time he opens his mouth. His strengths make up for my weaknesses, and sometimes our weaknesses are the same, and we try to help each other out. (Although sometimes our weakness is ice cream, simultaneously, and we give in completely).

I'm getting off track. It's probably becoming obvious to you, reader, that I'm writing with my 2 am brain. The point is, I can't imagine feeling more peace to be going to the temple to be sealed. And I can't imagine being more excited. I always figured that the day of my sealing I'd be grinning like a crazy person all day long. And when I'm with this guy I grin like a crazy person on the reg. So that'll be happening. My mission president taught us once that love for your spouse is a gift of the Spirit and should be prayed for every day. Andrew and I pray to grow in our love for each other every day, and I can't believe how that prayer has been answered already. We've spent the last few weeks especially, leading up to the sealing, in complete, annoying, goo goo ga ga wedding bliss. It's gross and wonderful.

The brain is shutting down. Andrew is cool. Temples are cool. I'm going to sleep now. I'm going to come back and edit this, but I'm posting the 2 am version for your entertainment. You're welcome.


8 comments:

Debbie said...

I love the 2 a.m. version and I love you! Yay for marriage!

HeritageoftheLord said...

I love what you said about praying for love for your spouse, that it's a gift of the spirit. You guys are awesome. Love you!!!

Emily said...

The Draper temple is gorgeous. They're all gorgeous, but I don't think I've ever been in a prettier temple than draper. Congratulations and have the best day, I'm so happy for you!

gigi said...

I'm all heart-eyes over this post. And I'm SOOOOOO excited for Saturday!

Unknown said...

This is so much fun to read and see what you're going through! So excited for you!!!

Morgan said...

Thank you so much for sharing all of these thoughts! I'm so excited for you two! I can imagine how extra special your sealing will be because of the growth you have experienced together this past 9 months. I'm so happy for you!

Morgan said...

This is Esther. Looks like i was signed in on Morgan's account. 😬 He would say the same things though. Love you, Chelsie!

Katheryn Wiederhold said...

1. Your 2am is way better then my wide awake. You're an excellent writer.
2. You are so cute! I'm excited for you!