
I loooooove my major. We do lots of deep thinking and I have spent zero time this semester writing papers. I don't have busy work to do. I read about deep thinkers who are currently dead and then I go to class and have fascinating discussions with my fellow sociologians(I don't think that's really a word)who will someday be dead but by golly are going to leave a mark on the world before they leave it. I love that my major is about studying society, and each classroom provides plenty of subjects for observation. Sociologists are often weird, and defy social norms just for fun, because we can. We feel that because we know all about you and why you do what you do, we should do things just to throw you off your game, to see if you will react the way we thought you would. And then we discuss you some more. Notice that I say "we". Yes, I am a Sociology nerd. And yes, I defy social norms. Like making faces at people, just to see how they react.
SOC 300- Methods of Research in Sociology
This class is a hard one to stay awake in, I am afraid. It's at noon, and lasts and hour and a half, and I think there must be something about that time of day, and the fact that my teacher has a kind of droning voice...but it's an interesting class. I remember after the first day I was so excited about it, I was talking to Jaime and waving my arms around and when she discovered that the class is, essentially, about surveys and how to correctly put together and read a survey so it gives you the right information, she gave me the strangest look. I don't know why. Does the thought of putting together random surveys and going out to get people to take them get anyone else's blood pumping?! Whoo. I need to take a deep breath now.
SOC 310- Foundations of Social Inquiry
I LOVE this class. The professor is so amazing. I got an email the week before class started which cheerfully explained to me that in order to hit the ground running, we had been sent the syllabus, and the first assignment which would be due at 9 am on the first day of classes. Oh, and we should probably get started on the assignment for wednesday, because that one was much longer. I thought, "ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!" I don't want to do homework before classes even start! I grudgingly did the homework, and got nervous looking at the syllabus which informed me that punctuality and attendance were NOT optional for this course. For those of you who know me, attendance hasn't been a strong point of my college experience. I showed up on the first day of class, and was handed a highlighted article and a worksheet which I had ten minutes to finish. "This guy doesn't waste any time..." I thought. And that has continued to be true. We get to class and start at, if not before, the bell. And the class is fascinating! Seriously, so good. I love the other people in that class and that they discuss and care and sometimes get worked up, instead of staring blankly at the professor when he asks questions. I have actually commented a few times, which never happens, and is a sign of how comfortable I feel in that class. It's basically a foundational class talking about different theorists such as Marx and Darwin and other names most of you wouldn't know. No offense :)
SOC 327- Sociology of the LDS Church and Its People
I love that we are so weird there's a separate sociology for our religion. I can't decide if I like this class or not. I like the professor, and I've gotten lots of different views of the Church, because we've read several articles on Mormonism written by non-Mormons. But there's some real argumentative people in that class who bug me. The jury is still out.
Those are all the Soc classes I'm taking. Other than that I have Stats 221 (I was so sad about this, the last math class I had to take was my Sophomore year of high school and I thought I was done forever), and Marriage Prep. Yes, I am taking marriage prep. It's not what I thought it would be...I've heard about this class from friends who have taken it and they said their assignments were things like asking people on dates and holding hands, and if you get engaged during the semester it's an automatic A :) But no, I got a teacher who is actually hardcore, and there's a ton of doctrine. Our packet is probably 300 pages thick, just assembled articles and talks and whatnot. So by the end of this, I will totally be prepared...to graduate, go on a mission, get into grad school, and THEN get married :)
2 comments:
I LOVED my marriage prep class. I took the religion one and the family science one. Both were awesome, and I learned tons in them. TONS. And there are times that it's hilarious and times where it's totally serious. Loved it.
Sociology is pretty much AMAZING! Hooray!
Post a Comment