Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Winter Semester Thus Far

This has been an exciting semester so far.
I have learned to appreciate my parents more, since they bailed me out when the threat of student loans loomed ahead. (My goal has always been to get through school without taking out a student loan, but then I decided I was too cool for my parents' house and decided to move out, thus derailing my plan).
Also, I got to see one of my illustrations in a real live publication, the magazine that the BYU Psychology Department puts out. A coworker of mine, who is working on his doctorate in Psychology, recommended me for the job and it worked out beautifully! Yay! Take that, Graphic Design department. Actually, to be completely honest, I don't love the illustration. But the magazine people liked it and they paid me for it. So I guess I will just move on.
Thirdly, I am officially a Sociology major! For those of you who are making funny faces at the computer screen or wondering what on earth I'm going to do with a degree in Sociology, you're not alone. That's basically the response I get everywhere. So it's basically the study of society and how people function and interact within cultures, etc. I love love love it so far. Also, it runs in my blood. My Grandpa Larsen studied sociology and was actually a professor at BYU. So I have an in with all my teachers. I just drop his name and automatic A. Haha, I wish. I started thinking about sociology in 11th grade when we had to write these monster research papers and we could choose any topic we wanted, and I ended up writing about shyness and social disorders and I thought it was fascinating. I loved that paper. Yeah, I'm kinda weird. I'm beginning to embrace it. And then my sophomore year I took an Intro to Sociology class and the professor was BRILLIANT. Seriously, probably one of the best professors I've ever had. He takes study abroad groups to Vietnam every summer, and I would love to go with him one of these times. He had a bunch of students who have gone come to talk to us about it, and most of them said after going they changed their majors to Sociology. So anyway, that is my major. I'm hoping to graduate next spring (is that weird to anyone else? I still remember thinking it was unreal that I was even starting college, let alone finishing) and then I'll be applying to grad school for marriage and family therapy. And somewhere in there I'll hopefully serve a mission, unless I get swept off my feet by a dashing millionaire :) Watch, none of this will happen like I planned. I've learned that life has little or no respect for plans.
Ok, I know you're wanting me to move on, so here we go. Fourthly, I maybe might possibly be dating someone. And that's all I'm gonna tell you :)
Fifthly, that's all the excitement I have. But I finally blogged! I'm glad people care. It brings warmth to my soul.
Oh, and this is totally random, but there are these cartoon characters called Pon and Zi, and they star in these emo cartoons that simply fill my soul with joy.So I will share a few.


Aww...


Story of my life, man.

And my personal favorite, macabre as it may be:

2 comments:

BrittanyB said...

I completely agree with you about not of it happening the way you plan. I think Heavenly Father gets a kick out of our little plans, laughs at us, and then finds a way to show us His plan and how much better it is. Good luck with the new major and the new BF.

Anonymous said...

Great post.