Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Dear Jaime,

You are 19 years old now.
As of...18 days ago.
(Better late than never, right?)

You're getting to the point where you do life better than me
You don't need me to show you the ins and outs of college
or to be there to give you advice
But then, you never really did need me, did you?
Thanks for making me feel like a good big sister anyway.

You're a beautiful person.
How am I going to get through a mission without you?
What am I going to do when you go off to med school?
Or when you get married?

Why do I feel like you're leaving me behind?
Maybe because you always seem to be miles ahead of me in every possible way.
What am I supposed to do
when the best part of me was always you?

Yes, I stole that line.
It was stuck in my head
and seemed fitting.

2 comments:

Suzy said...

great poem, love it

Dan and Donna said...

Chelsie, I love all your writing...I even cry! Big surprise. Keep up the good work as it makes me so happy to read about your thoughts. Much love, grandpa and grandma