Conference is the best thing EVER. I was GIDDY when they announced the
temples, absolutely GIDDY. The smile on my face hurt me, it was so big.
First of all, PROVO?!?!?! Did NOT see that one coming. Also I just feel
like every moment I spent in that tabernacle just became super cool.
Never doubt the ability of the Lord to sanctify your experiences :) The
Lord doesn't do anything halfway. Also, the temple in Congo felt
basically like getting a temple in my own mission because I have
probably taught more Congolese people than French or Belge. And our ward
has a good Congolese showing, so they were pretty excited about that.
Also, STAR VALLEY! Haha. Woot! Hometown of my hero, Asher Cox! And
therefore awesome. And of course, Paris France! It's coming! I'm so
excited! The work of the Lord will go forth! Even though that was a very
vague announcement...
Which reminds me of one of my favorite AHA moments this week, which I
wanted to share. So, this week we invited hundreds of people to General
Conference. That is not an exaggeration. Hundreds. I bore my testimony
of the living prophet til I was blue in the face. (That one was an
exaggeration...) And, well we had less than hundreds show up, I'll just
say that. So in between conference sessions I was reading the story of
Alma the Younger, because recently I've just been fascinated by that
story and reading it over and over, looking to figure out WHY Alma the
Younger got to see an angel. Why was it that the Lord intervened in that
way at that time for that man? It was triggered by reading one of the
quotes by Elder Holland (love that man) where he said that the work of
the Lord is about calling down angels and miracles to help his children.
I thought, I would LOVE to call down an angel or two. So what do I have
to do? Well, I learned a LOT that I probably don't have time to share
but with regard to people not showing up to Conference, the scripture
that hit me was Mosiah 27:13, where the angel of the Lord is speaking to
Alma and says that the Lord said, "This is my church, and I will
establish it; and nothing shall overthrow it, save it is the
transgression of my people." This is MY church, and I WILL establish it.
NOTHING shall overthrow it, save it is the trangression of my people.
The work of the Lord WILL go forth, until it has filled the whole earth.
Israel WILL be gathered. Because our God is the same God that brought
Israel across the Red Sea on dry ground. He is the same God who changed
Saul into Paul, and Alma the Younger into one of the greatest
missionaries of all time. The very hardest of hearts cannot be kept from
changing once the Lord decides to touch them. All those who are meant
to hear and accept the gospel will hear and accept it. Therefore it is
not the hard heartedness of Europeans, nor their culture nor the many
other things we like to list that might get in the way of the work. It
is only the transgression of those who are already members that will
change things. If we are sanctified, the Lord will change the hearts of
those for whom we pray and labor. They have, of course, their free
agency, but there are not many who will taste of the love of the Savior
in the way Alma did who would then turn their back on it, never to taste
of it again. Maybe I will sanctify myself, will work my little rear end
off, pray without ceasing, and never baptize another person during my
mission. But I KNOW that because of my prayers and personal
sanctification, the Lord will intervene in the lives of those people
when the time is right, and I have absolute faith that they will taste
of his love, see his light, and never turn back. I know it because I
know that where I am right now has nothing to do with me. It is the
result of the prayers and faithful service of generations before me and
the wonderful friends and family around me. And I will never turn back
:) There is nothing I know more than that I have found the truth, I have
found the fountain of all joy and peace and comfort, I have found the
iron rod in the midst of darkness, and there is nothing that scares me
more than letting go!
Sorry if that sounded soap boxy. I just get going... so yes, this
conference was basically the best thing that ever happened to me. I hope
it was the same for you :) Hey mom, guess what? I even made cinnamon
rolls! Except then halfway through I realized that in my excitement I
had overlooked the fact that we had no cinnamon. So, I improvised. haha.
It's ok, someday I'll be a domestic goddess like you. As for how we
watch conference over here, we watch both the morning sessions live.
Here's how it went down: Saturday night we watched the RS session (LOVE,
I can see forget me nots becoming a super popular theme in Utah...) and
then had a baptism! (Her name is Mayra and she is beautiful and so
sweet and the Spanish elders taught her) and then watched the Saturday
morning session live from 6 to 8. And then Sunday they show the
Priesthood session from 11 to 1, and then we all ate lunch together, and
then watched the Saturday afternoon session 2 til 4, then ate dinner,
then music and the spoken word and the Sunday morning session live. And
I'm not sure when we'll see the Sunday afternoon session... In
versailles we watched it the next sunday, in place of RS/Priesthood and
Sunday School. On verra. Oh also, I watched it in French! First session I
got a headache, it's just not the same as the normal everyday
conversational French, my brain was trying to translate it and then feel
emotionally involved about it and then figure out which investigator to
share it with, so the other sessions I just tried to listen for the
spirit and it was AMAZING. I took pages of notes, things just came to
mind and I was being taught and it was just wonderful. I still caught
most of the stories, like President Monson, SO funny. I LOVE that man. I
love that I know that he is a Prophet, called and inspired by God. I
love that I know where I can look for truth and guidance. I love that I
know what our standards are and that they don't change.
Oh, I almost forgot! We are teaching a wonderful family from
California (go figure) and the two children are getting baptized! The
mother was baptized years ago but has been inactive since and has just
recently started coming back to church and she wants her kids to be
baptized. So we met them this week and I LOVE them. It was absolute
chaos in their home, it made me MISS being in a family! SO good! I was
just dying laughing inside. On the outside I tried to keep it together.
Also they are all geniuses. The mother is amazing, she has a master's
degree in religion and she was telling us all this stuff about the Bible
and about trips to Israel and Jerusalem and my favorite was her
reaction to the Book of Mormon. She freaked out when we told her it had
only been translated once. Seriously freaked out. It was the best
reaction to the Book of Mormon I have ever seen. "You mean to tell me
that this book hasn't been changed? It's like God saw how much we messed
with the Bible and decided to give us another chance with the truth!
This book is direct from the prophets?! I need to read this book! Why
did I never read this book? You need to tell more people about this
book!" haha. Tell me about it, lady. Maybe if I talked about it all the
time with that much excitement in my voice... Other random funny thing,
the baby in this family is named Jaguar. Yeah. And there's another
toddler in our ward named Tiger. So, Tiger and Jaguar are going to be
friends.
Ok, that is all. Hooray for the gospel! And everything! Seriously
General Conference just got me so pumped for life. I hope everything's
going well back home! I feel like I had something else really important
to say.... But I can't remember, so obviously not that important. Well,
I'm off to go look at some cathedrals now. Oh that reminds me, it is
SUPER wierd to me that it is football season back at home! I got a play
by play from one of the interns here of the BYU- Utah State game, sounds
pretty intense! I felt like I was there. Good times.
LOVE YOU!!!
Soeur Larsen
No comments:
Post a Comment