Tuesday, July 7, 2009

The 4th

(Photo from Google. I wish this was what our fireworks actually looked like)

So, the 4th. The 4th this year was strange for me, because I usually spend it in Provo, where our claim to fame is our huge celebration--the Freedom Festival, the firesides, the hot air balloons, and of course the Stadium of Fire. Besides all of this going on, there's usually the giant Larsen family bbq.
This year the 4th snuck up on me. No one really talks about it here, so that was weird. The morning of the 4th I drove down to LA with Emerson (because I was afraid to brave the LA traffic alone. Also I'm lazy and didn't want to drive) and I was nervous the whole way! I was going to see Uncle David and Stacy and their kids and I haven't seen them in forever. Last time I saw David was a couple years ago, and the rest of his family has been even longer. And this time I didn't even have a family buffer!
I don't know why I was so nervous, they're family, and David is always hilarious and his family is so nice, I had a blast with them. The only negative side effect was homesickness as I saw them all together and wished I had my siblings around, too.
It was really laid back, we played at the pool and bbq'd and went on a mini bike ride and celebrated David's birthday and watched Marley and Me (oh how I love that movie. It made me cry this time around) and watched the fireworks.
The fireworks were definitely affected by the recession...we kept joking about it. "wait, was that the finale? did we miss it? nope, there's some more..."
A few moments later, another one...
pause.
Another one..
But when the finale came, you knew it.
They were the kind of fireworks you could feel in your chest.
They made me think of the soldiers, in other countries, experiencing dangerous and somewhat less beautiful explosions. Some of them will never see family again.
I guess I can't really claim homesickness.
It also made me think of my other home, where I lived before this life and where I hope to live again. Having multiple homes and a Father who is always near, and another who is always a phone call away....I'm a lucky girl. No complaints.

So anyway, hooray for America! We're lucky to be here.
And Happy Birthday David :)
don't worry, you don't look a day over 42.
(haha, I'm so funny. Oh and sorry for the lack of pictures! Sad story. I discovered the night before this wonderful trip that my camera was out of battery. And apparently I don't own the right charger. So I'll have to fix that and go visit David and Co. again soon)

2 comments:

gigi said...

Oh my, not to rub it in or anything, but at the stadium of fire I could totally feel the finale in my torso...it was marvelous.

Stacey said...

It was so fun to have you at our house. Yes, sadly, Tustin fireworks cannot be compared to the Stadium of Fire (however, they are set off in a stadium and technically all fireworks are fire). I'm glad to have been able to get to know you some. I think the last time I was around you, you were about 9. My how you've changed ;)