Sunday, July 12, 2009

Grateful

Yesterday I went to the baptism of a girl who's been coming to the singles ward. I totally cried as she was led into the water. She was so excited. People often say that they can remember every detail of their baptism, because it was such an important day; I've never been able to say that. I remember random things, I remember being excited to have everyone's attention on me. I had no idea what a good thing I was doing for myself. As I looked at this girl, I tried to picture myself on that day. I'm sure I looked goofy, I always think I look goofy. With my Larsen cheeks and my gappy teeth. I remember my hair being braided.
Yesterday I sat there in the small, crowded room and for a moment saw not the blond young adult, but a dark haired eight year old, and I was so grateful for her and that decision she made.
I don't know where I would be without the gospel. It's been such an enormous part of my life, the best part of my life. I've paid attention to it even more being out here, away from my family. For the first time I'm in a place where most of the people I come in contact with are not LDS.
I always heard talks on missionary work and wondered how I could participate--everyone I know is Mormon. Out here the LDS community is so involved with missionary work.
They make it a part of their everyday lives, they reach out to their friends and they work together with the missionaries. There's a pair of missionaries in every ward. I've never seen that before.
Yesterday I looked at this girl being baptized and wondered about her. I wondered where she was heading before she found the gospel. I wondered if she had to make any big life changes. I wondered how it felt when she first prayed, or when she first felt the Spirit. I wondered how much being washed clean meant to her. I know as an 8 year old the power of that didn't fully strike me.
I love being here and seeing the gospel in this new light. I love answering questions about the gospel for my coworkers. I have a whole new appreciation for this wonderful gift I've lived with my entire life. I'm so grateful for the gospel. I'm grateful for my family, who live the gospel and show me the way. I'm grateful for the people I've met here who are examples of missionary work. They are incredible and it's been humbling to see them. I hope I can continue to be an example of the believers even when I head back to the Bubble where it's almost commonplace. I hope I never forget the magnitude of what I have to share and the ability I have to share it.

2 comments:

Emily said...

I didn't grow up in Utah but I remember having those feelings about missionary work when I started going to BYU. But I don't feel that way anymore. I'm surrounded by people who aren't Mormons, even in good ole Utah (and even more in-active members), and missionary work is very much alive here. Probably still different in Provo, but up north, not so much. I was pleasantly surprised!

Amanda said...

AWESOME post! I love to hear your testimony Chels! I miss it. I'm so glad that you are getting the opportunity to live in the "mission field". It's wonderful.