So this weekend BYU held a bunch of ladies' choice dances--Jane Austen, Great Gatsby, Harry Potter, and Dr. Seuss
A bunch of girls in my ward decided to go to the Jane Austen dance as a group, and they talked me into it, and I apparently forgot that formal dances are so not my thing. It turns out I had a blast though :)

The dance was held at the Sleepy Ridge golf course club house, which was beautiful, and included a banquet, dance instruction, dancing, parlor games, carriage rides, and photographs. Formal or period wear was required. (I was floored by how much people really got into it and actually wore period attire. Especially the guys. There were bonnets and top hats and canes and cravats...)
So I asked a guy in my ward, and then agonized about it, because I thought that forcing him to take part in this girlish fantasy was a cruel thing to do to a man.
Oh well.
It was SO much fun. It helped that we had a giant group. The food was good, everyone was so funny, people were walking around and talking with British accents and saying things like, "pip pip, cheerio" and "jolly good, what?" and things that I'm sure Jane Austen's people would've thought were very strange.
The dancing was good, we learned the foxtrot and a waltz, and I stink at both, so I basically just let my date push me around.
In the parlor we played the Minister's Cat and a Jane Austen-ized version of Zip-bong and I haven't laughed so hard in a very long time. One guy in our group was hilarious to watch because he was crying and his face just looked so pained every time he laughed. Everyone's cheeks hurt afterwards.
Parlor games:



And then of course, as evidenced by facebook, we took a bazillion pictures.
Ta da! The end. I love my friends. And I just want to say props to the guys, because they were SO much fun. And liked having their pictures taken even more than the girls did. Also, my date was hot. He loves me. Secretly.




7 comments:
He WAS hot. I fully agree. Nice choice. Looks like a total blast!
Girl, you look great! Also, your date is cute. I suggest you pursue that one a little more. And not leave me to go on a mission.
Yeah Chels you ought to date him :P Hahaha! I can't believe that even after having me there for 3 months the best you guys could come up with was 'pip pip'. *sigh* did I teach you nothing? :P
I love you and your posts. Your date is hot.
Haha, don't worry Abi, we also called the bathroom the Loo, the Lavratory (I don't know how to spell that), and the W. C. and I learned what a crumpet was. And we said wicked, and bother, and bullocks! Better? :P
My dear Chels! I shall have to return to teach you how it's done properly! :P (Please promise me never to say bullocks again...I thought I cleared that up with people!)My cousin and I can pretty much quote P&P... for example, when referring to your date you could say 'I am quite delighted with him. He is so excessively handsome! His countenance so amiable' :P And you were in the company of 'such charming women, so elegant and obliging... (you then need to go into an in-depth discussion on the lace on the dresses...) also I loved the use of the word 'vexed' in those days... everything 'vexed me greatly' if you were Mrs Bennett hehe!
I totally just barely discovered why I shouldn't say bullocks. That's way awkward.
Post a Comment