So, I've been super bad at actually updating you on what I'm doing here in Alexandria.
I moved here, I got an apartment, I have my own room with a great view.
I have two roommates who are in their 30's and they are great. I was nervous at first about the age gap but it's been great. They have lots of wisdom to impart :)
Also one of them is an RM! And I've seen her be a missionary, she's pretty bomb at it.
She and I took the missionaries to dinner on Valentine's Day. Talk about romantic...
My roommates and I had some roommate bonding the other night, we bought ourselves discount roses (it was the day after Valentine's Day) and watched Pillow Talk.
My fourth day here (or so) I volunteered at that congressional fundraiser thing where I met three friends who have become my besties. We decided randomly after the fundraiser that we should go to a museum together, which we did last Saturday (the air and space museum, super cool), and I have hung out with some or all of them every day since. Sometimes multiple times in one day.
Not only did they introduce me to the air and space museum, but also to Buffalo Wild Wings, (aka B Dubs) and to half price burger Mondays at the Crystal City Sports Bar. They know all the great deals. Good people to know.
Other than hanging out with them, I mostly stay in my apartment (lame, I know) because I work for my dad on the computer. When I first got out here I told myself that I would find other places with wi-fi where I could work so that I would get out and see more of the city, but it's just been so cold... and I'm lazy... and I would have to pay for the metro...
Speaking of, I love the public transportation out here. I don't have a car, so I've been riding the bus and the metro everywhere and I'm getting pretty good at it. I don't usually get lost... It takes WAY longer to get anywhere, unless I'm going into the heart of DC, in which case it's super handy.
Case in point, I was used to using public transportation to get to the church, which takes me about 40 minutes. Someone who lives close to the church offered to give me a ride, and I felt bad because it was such a long way, until she drove me home and it took 8 MINUTES. It kind of blew my mind. Not gonna lie, it'd be nice to have a car. But hey, I deal. My pioneer ancestors would be so proud. Plus this way I can get cute boys to give me rides home all the time.
Anyway, back on track... I work from home every day until about 4 or 6, depending on when I get started, or if I decide to take a midday field trip, which I sometimes do. Those field trips usually take me to Old Town Alexandria, because it's a bus ride away and there's nothing I don't love about that area. Old Town is filled with adorable (and super expensive) boutiques, all along this main road. It is, by the way, the perfect romantic road to walk along hand in hand with someone special. There are lanterns and cute buildings and the road ends at the waterfront by the Potomac. Also at the end of the road is my favorite place in Alexandria, the Torpedo Factory. I've probably mentioned it before, but it is Disneyland for my soul. There's just a bunch of open art studios in there! You can look at artwork and even watch the artists at work and chat with them and I LOVE IT WITH ALL MY HEART. The artwork there is amazing. My new dream is to have a studio there.
After work most days there's something going on at the church, like FHE, Institute, Life Enhancement classes (which are super helpful, I went to one about taxes yesterday), and/or random activities. There's endless stuff to see in DC, like the monuments, all the museums, cool places to eat. One night I went on a random hunt for falafel. One night I went traipsing through the snow to the Jefferson Memorial and the 9/11 Memorial at the Pentagon. Last Sunday I went and saw a Revolutionary War reenactment, because how could I pass that up?! It was everything I hoped and dreamed.
When there are long weekends here, all the YSA go somewhere. New York, the Carolinas, Philly, Florida even. It blows my mind. The most exciting thing we ever did was go to Zions. Which was awesome, don't get me wrong, but you CAN'T LEAVE UTAH. It's SO BIG. Here I can visit three states in one day. Which I did.
I miss the mountains, and being able to go on a hike whenever I wanted to. I miss having lots of friends that I could randomly call up to have adventures with. Here I have a limited friend pool so far... but hey, they are great.
But really, I love DC. I love this area, I love the people I've met, I love that there's always something random to do or see, usually for free. I love living in a tall apartment building and riding the metro and being at places I've mostly seen on TV or heard about :)
So there you go, that's kind of an update on me and what I've been up to. Hope this was worth reading. If you made it this far, you deserve a pat on the back. You're a good listener/reader.
3 comments:
I know I'm a good listener/reader, but I'd rather listen to the audible version. Call me?
I have a friend that lives in Alexandria in a big beautiful home and I feel like Alexandria is probably magical. Sounds that way for you so far!
So fun to read your blog, keep up the positive attitude, and know that you have people cheering for you in Minnesota!
Post a Comment