Saturday, February 1, 2014

DC Day 1

Oh what a day. And it's only 7 pm.
So there are some lovely ladies who have invited me to stay at their house while I look for an apartment. Oh how I wish I could afford to live here. Because massage chair, hot tub, jacuzzi tub, king size bed, heated floors... Oh and super nice roommates. Need I say more?

I got to their house at about 11 last night, went to see aformentioned guy friend's updated digs (guys, he has furniture in his apartment now! And he's only been living here for five months! He's so grown up.), watched Sherlock, got back at about 2. Fell asleep.

Woke up, got ready, headed off ready to conquer DC, navigate the public transport system like a pro, and find my dream apartment. It actually went as well as planned until I left the second apartment.

Headed home, I put the wrong address into my phone GPS. Upon arrival, and realization that I was not at all in the right place, my phone died. GUYS. MY PHONE DIED. How did anyone ever get around before smart phones, this is what I want to know. So I wandered in the direction of the tall buildings, figuring that where there were tall buildings, there were metro stops, and where there were metro stops, there were maps. After walking for MILES, (My pioneer ancestors were weeping for me) I came across a Dunkin' Donuts. Hallelujah! I ordered a donut and a hot chocolate and plugged my phone in. (Thank heavens for my shoulder angel who told me to bring my charger along) Also now that I think about it, I believe that donut and hot chocolate are all I've had to eat today...

I need food.

Anyway I charged my phone enough to figure out how to get home and then set out again, refreshed and full of hope. And then I wandered in some very hopeful circles because I cannot tell which way is north without my mountains. And then I found the metro, and discovered that the next train wasn't coming for another 23 minutes. AND I HAD ONLY CHARGED MY PHONE TO 17% AND THEREFORE COULD NOT ENTERTAIN MYSELF ON IT. I had to sit for 23 minutes with only myself and my thoughts. The worst. I'm such bad company.

Haha jk, I love myself. Let's be honest.

After waiting 23 minutes, I rode the metro for approximately 23 seconds before disembarking and waiting another 10 minutes for another metro. I rode that one for a few stops, and then hiked towards the house where I was staying. I arrived, finally, my feet CRYING OUT IN PAIN, my lips YEARNING for the chapstick I had left in my other jacket, my throat CRYING  OUT for water, 2% battery left on my phone, only to find the door locked and no one home.

Praying that my phone would not give out on me, I called the one girl whose number I had. No answer.
I called my trusty male friend. No answer.
I sat there in the cold for a minute, contemplating the depressing futility of my situation.

Then, my thighs aching, my fingers losing feeling, I trudged back in the direction of the metro, determined to find a place to plug my phone, and resigned to the fact that I had another apartment to check out and would have to head out in that direction anyway.

Upon reaching the metro, I got a phone call (MIRACLE, because my phone should have been way dead by then) from the girl saying that someone was at home and the door was unlocked for me.

GUYS. I had to turn around and walk back, thinking about how hard life was the whole way. (I actually was way more cheerful during all of this than I'm making it sound. Because, I'm in DC! But I like to be a drama queen for your benefit) I finally got home to find an open door (hallelujah!) and my chapstick and a place to charge my phone. Also a massage chair, so I'm feeling much better about life now.

And it only took me 4 1/2 hours from when I left apartment #2, which is about 20 minutes away.

I'm totally going to rock this DC thing.

It's 7:41, and I'm thinking it's time to call it a night.

3 comments:

Lindy said...

Chels. Adventures!! So cool. Now on to what is important: this hollow ache of terror started in my chest as I realized (while reading this) that you aren't coming back to me. What is happening here? What will I do? What will you do? This is an impossible situation.

BrittanyB said...

I love this post. Please continue to document your adventures. Good Luck!

Emily said...

I got lost in Boston a Few years ago and also found saving Grace in a Dunkin Donuts. But it was a firefighter, not my phone, that saved me. That's right, no smart phone here. It's brutal.