Saturday, February 1, 2014

Taking the Leap

So, I'm moving to DC today. I'm currently on hold with the Frontier Airlines people, because my first flight is delayed and I have four minutes to make my connecting flight... So hopefully we can get that worked out. Also I might not make it to DC today, haha. But hey, I hear Denver is lovely. Anyway, since someone will be answering my call in approximately 16 minutes I thought, what better way to spend those 16 minutes than to document my decision to move to DC?

I know you're all super excited about that decision. (To document, not to move...)

So, I'll be honest, never before this year did I ever consider living in Washington DC. I've always dreamed of living in a big city, at least for a little while, probably not once I have kids, but for some reason I never lumped DC into the 'big city' category. I went there once, when I was little, and remember that there was a lot of cool stuff to see. I remember wearing a red, white, and blue outfit my mom had made me that matched my sisters'. And I remember lots of stairs...

But then this summer I met a boy who wanted to live there. And since I found this boy attractive and fascinating, suddenly DC seemed attractive and fascinating as well. Said boy did pick up and move there, and I went to visit him twice. My suspicions were confirmed. It is, in fact, an attractive and fascinating city. Side note, the metro system and some of the architecture are the closest things I can get in the states to my mission. Therefore, LOVE.

I'm not going to say anything else about said boy, out of respect for his feelings and privacy and the fact that it's simply hard to frame a story without an ending. Unless I were to write about it Goosebumps "Choose Your Own Adventure" style. Which actually sounds intriguing....maybe I will.

So the seed of living in DC was planted in my mind. And then it started growing roots. And then figs. Why figs? I don't know.

Anyway, here were my thoughts on moving.
1. Why not? I'm young, I'm single, and if anything goes terribly wrong I can always go back home. To my parent's basement. I am no stranger to those halls.
2. DC is cool. Cool singles live there. Hot lawyers and med students live there. Ooh baby. Also I'm a gold digger. Did I mention that? DC is the place for gold diggers.
3. I want to see how I do living on my own. What kind of life do I create for myself when I'm not living with family or with friends I've known for years?
4. Fresh starts are always fun.
5. The Art League of Alexandria. A non-profit organization consisting of an art school, art gallery, and collaboration of over 180 artists working in open studios, involved in community art projects. Just outside of DC.
6. Free museums! A metro system! 3 hour train ride from New York City! Cool architecture! Concerts! The White House! Cool things galore. All kinds of amazing things on the East Coast.
7. Food. Oh baby. There's so much good food here. I can't wait until I start selling paintings and can actually afford to eat out :)
8. My job is flexible and can be done remotely. Also, there are plenty of jobs out here.
9. There are French speakers out here :) And French speaking missionaries!
10. I wish I could think of something good to round this list out to an even ten, but that's about it.

Here I go!



1 comment:

Emily said...

That is SO FUN. You are awesome. Have so much fun and a great adventure! I lived in Maryland as a kid and I still miss it. It's a wonderful place, the east coast. I'm jealous.