Monday, February 2, 2009

There's Something about Winter...

Maybe it's the fact that in the winter I don't have a life. And that I spend all my time either sitting in front of a computer at work, sitting in class, or sitting in bed with my laptop trying to stay warm. Something about winter makes me want to blog more. Some of you have watched the transition of this blog as it started as a shrine to my brother, then as a place for general family news, often shared months after the events had taken place, then as I moved out and the blog become completely about me. I'm so selfish. Also I don't have a camera, so words must replace pictures, sadly. Pictures are easier.
So I spend my time writing about life, maybe to speed it along, maybe to fool myself into thinking I have one. I just want this winter to end. I keep dreaming of summer. I daydream about all the things I'm going to do in the summer, I dream about Lagoon and swimming and the beach and then when I wake up I forget that it's winter until I look out the window. I keep going along through life with the hopeful feeling that summer is just around the corner, only to be faced with the crushing reality that it is only February. February 2nd.
I keep getting reminders that I should cherish this time. People say I have less responsibility and stress now than I ever will in the future, when I have mortgages and bills and children; my dad was telling me to enjoy this time while I'm single because once that's over, it's over forever. My bishop yesterday was telling us to enjoy each of these moments, because this is such a wonderful time, a time of growth, a time for fun and for learning and for discovering ourselves. I believe all these people. I know I should be cherishing this time and for the most part, I do. But there are just times when I wish it could be summer. So I can shed my frumpy clothes and wear flip flops and t-shirts and shorts and skirts. So I don't have to shave my legs every five seconds. So I can study outside. So I can go rock climbing and biking and hiking and swimming and camping. Sigh.
And I just remembered the reason I started this post anyway. Sometimes I start one and then I just ramble.
Yesterday at a family brunch thinger my cousin let me use his fancy pants Nikon camera and now I am coveting it. So I am giving all of you a chance to do some charity and feel good about yourselves. Donate money to my camera fund :) I'm super popular, so if I can get each of my friends to donate 10 bucks, I could probably buy it. Do you love me 10 bucks worth?

1 comment: