In the last General Conference, Quentin L. Cook gave a talk called "Hope ya know, we had a hard time." The quote comes from his son, from a phone call with his mom. I'm not sure why, but almost every time I hear those words, I tear up. A week ago I was sitting alone in my car, watching the snow fall, and I said those words, directed at the Big Man Upstairs. Hope ya know, I'm having a hard time. Just feeling like I can curl up like a little kid in His lap and just want to surrender and let Him take care of it, is comforting.
I was thinking about those words again today. I was sitting in class today, thinking about the midterms I have coming up, starting to feel overwhelmed. The I was reading this and this and I completely agree!
I feel like the more I learn the more I realize how little I know. The more intense my classes get the less I feel I know about anything we're talking about. There are so many things going on in the world, I have school trying to teach me to approach the world intelligently and I'm trying to keep up with that, and I try to be a good person and do all the things I know I should do, and I try to keep up with all my friends and remember that other people have problems too. I feel overwhelming joy and gratitude while at the same time feeling pain and worry and disappointment. There's so much going on!
But it's comforting to know that He knows I'm having a hard time. I feel like as long as I can say that, and as long as I know he knows, I can go on.
"When we are in dire circumstances and want to cry “Where art Thou?” it is imperative that we remember He is right there with us—where He has always been! We must continue to believe, continue to have faith, continue to pray and plead with heaven, even if we feel for a time our prayers are not heard and that God has somehow gone away. He is there. Our prayers are heard.
And when we weep He and the angels of heaven weep with us."--Elder Holland
"Think of the Savior in the Garden of Gethsemane during the Atonement process, suffering agony so great that He bled from every pore. His cry to His Father included the word Abba. This might be interpreted as the cry of a son who is in distress to his father: “O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt.” I testify that the Atonement of Jesus Christ covers all of the trials and hardships that any of us will encounter in this life. At times when we may feel to say, “Hope you know, I had a hard time,” we can be assured that He is there and we are safe in His loving arms."--Elder Cook
Marjorie Pay Hinckley said, "Be kind. Everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."
4 comments:
This was great! Thank you.
Ditto what Courtney said! It's hard to remember that everyone is having a hard time, especially when you feel like you are having an especially hard time.
We both need to be better about commenting on each others' blogs.
I love you.
Beautifully put Chels!
Great blog Chelsie. It makes me proud to be your grandmother!
Post a Comment