This is, hands down, my best semester yet at BYU. Classes-wise, anyway.
And because I love my classes so, I thought I would tell you about them.
SOC 405~ Regression Analysis
Seeing how I hated statistics, and as this is a statistical analysis class, I dreaded it. But it's not actually that bad. Mostly I just like it because people's eyes get big when I tell them I'm taking it :)
SOC 390R~ Self and Society
We read books and then talk about our feelings...
Seriously though. We spent the first two weeks talking about emotion, and different theories on how people respond to emotion and why they react in different ways. And we barely scratched the surface on the stuff. And now we're reading a book called On Being Authentic; it's a history of the way people have tried to "find themselves"--by looking inward, outward, or to God.
I got into a somewhat heated argument involving this one.
SOC 497~ Theories of Social Change
This class is intense. It's like a firehose (of information) to the face. How's that for a visual image? It's a discussion-based class and it's so much fun! People get really into it. And the teacher is amazing. He's the one who converted me to Sociology. One of the best things about this class is that there are no tests! Only papers. But I can write kick-trash papers, and I always bomb tests.
SFL 330~ Pre-Professional Prep for Marriage and Family Therapy
This class is mostly about getting into MFT programs for grad school. It's a laid-back class, there's only about six students and we just sit in a circle and ask all our application questions and the professor (he's the dean of the MFT program at BYU, I think) gives us advice. It's mostly a good chance to pick his brain and get to know him a bit, which will hopefully help me get into BYU's program. Cross your fingers! This class gets me so excited for grad school! I can't wait.
Mission Prep!
I LOVE this class. The famous Brother Bott teaches it, and he's amazing. So funny, and he has incredible insights and advice. I always leave that class ready to take on the world and be the best missionary ever. You should check out his blog: ldskyr.blogspot.com
So there you go. Are you jealous? You should be. I love love love love love my schedule. Two classes a day, monday through thursday, and a three-day weekend every week :)
I'll be less free, starting in February, because I'll be starting research with Dr. Bahr on divorce predictors. I'm so excited about that too! Basically my life rocks.
Life plan from here: Finish this semester, take one class in the spring (Bio 1oo, YUCK), go on a mission, take my last semester when I get back, apply for grad schools, get into grad school, get married to the man of my dreams, start grad school fall 2012, finish 2-ish years later, start having babies, live happily ever after.
I bet this life plan is really going to crack me up in five years or so. When nothing has gone according to plan....
No comments:
Post a Comment