Family!! I
love you!! Happy November! Isn't that wierd? It's beautiful here. I decided
that one of my favorite things about France is that fall is actually a season
here! In Utah it's kinda there and then gone... here the trees have been red
and gold for weeks. The trees are starting to get a little bare, and it's
usually nice and foggy in the mornings. So creepy and old-Europe. Love!
Yesterday Sr. W and I were in Onzain, a part of our branch that's a ten-minute
train ride away, and I don't know if you've ever imagined old fashioned French
countryside, but you should just try and imagine the cutest little french town
with countryside and orchards all around, and little brooks and old crumbly
bridges and golden trees and geese, and you have Onzain. We were just walking
along squealing with excitement. We were the only people out, it was pretty
chilly. Ps, it's SO COLD HERE! It's the kind of cold that gets into your bones
and stays there. The branch members said this is just the beginning. I think
they think I'm pretty wimpy for someone who supposedly was hatched by pioneer
stock in the land of the best snow on earth.
This was such a good week!
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhh! Hooray! Mostly I just think that because yesterday
was awesome. We had so many amis at church! And it was a wonderful testimony
meeting, not an awkward moment :) Which is extra impressive if you know how
small the branch is. I laughed, I cried, it moved me Bob. I love how the
Spirit of the church is the same everywhere and the power of it isn't affected
by our numbers. After church we ate at the home of an inactive member and I ate
duck for the first time in my life. And the best chocolate mousse ever dreamed
up by a human mind. Gotta love french dessert! And her son showed us his DVD of
when he went to EFY. Guess what I learned? They have only been having EFY for
the francophone countries in Europe for the last 3 years! And my mission
president started it! The more I learn about him, the more I am impressed by
him. EFY here is huge for the youth, it's such a good chance for them to be
with other kids with the same standards.
Also we had crepes last night at the
home of my favorite French member family EVER. I love them with all my heart
and soul. First of all, we walked in and they were all gathered around the
table playing Ticket to Ride, so that reminded me of home. Then they are just
so happy and funny and wonderful. The two youngest sons, Victor and Augustin,
are just the best little boys this church has to offer. Seriously the best.
Besides, of course, my brothers... Anyway so we talked to them about missionary
work and we had a special invitation for the two boys. We had felt impressed to
ask them to pray for the missionaries to find a new family this week, one with
two boys their age. We told them we needed their help, and that we knew the
Lord would answer their prayers, and that if they would pray in faith, we the
missionaries would work in faith, and we would bring that family to church next
sunday. It had to be the Spirit that inspired that, because the thought that we
promised them that still scares me a little bit. When we were talking about it,
Victor was looking at me so seriously and intently I thought he was going to
drill two holes in my head. The boys are so excited by the idea. The dad of the
family told them that they'd help them and Augustin said, "no! it's our
job!" And afterwards, when we were saying goodbye, Victor shook my hand
very seriously and said, "this is going to work."
I still can't think about last night
without just grinning, it was so good. I wish you could meet this family. I
LOVE those two boys. I love that the Lord loves them and wants them to have
this missionary experience. The younger generations are seriously the royal
army of the Lord and they are going to do incredible things. Mark, Daryl, and
Chris included :)
Which reminds me of another favorite
moment, we are teaching another young couple with two little kids, ages 17
months and 3 months. Yeah. That mother is a ninja, I don't know how she is
still sane. Anyway we had an amazing lesson with them this week, and we talked
about baptism and knowing it was the right thing for them and the next step
they had to take. The father of the family, after we made the invitation, was
looking very thoughtful and slowly nodding his head, when his son, the
17-month-old, came toddling up to him. Something in his face changed and he
scooped up his son and said to him, "What do you think? Are you ready to
be a Mormon? Are you going to be a missionary too?" It was a cool moment,
I looked at that little boy and thought about the premortal training he had, to
prepare him to come to this earth, to receive the gospel, and then to share it
with others. The father seemed to see something too. They will be getting
baptized, no date yet, but they were all at church yesterday, and they fit
right in with the branch. I'm so excited for them!
Last favorite moment, we fixed a
baptismal date with Clement! He's the one I told you about, who's married to a
member, and the branch is SO excited that he's finally getting baptized. It's a
little farther away than I would like, but he picked it himself after
discussing with his wife and praying about it, and he seems very committed.
He's such a good man. So pray for Clement, January 7th :)
Oh and we also have a new ami who I
LOVE. He's the bomb. His name is Raphael, he's a student here getting his
master's degree and he's super smart. He got his undergrad in Physics.
Our first meeting with him just felt super natural, we asked him a lot of
questions about what he believes and what he understands about God and life
after death and his answers were fascinating, I could've listened to him all
day. He's got so much stuff figured out and he's just missing a few links that
the restored gospel is going to provide him and I'm excited! Hooray! I will
describe this rendezvous better in person. Remind me... It just was so good!
So, uh, yeah. That was my week, it
was the best. There were so many other good moments but I guess I will have to
save them for after.
How was your week? Did you write me
a letter? That's so nice of you! Haha.
Oh, last funny thought. Last week
after district meeting, one of the zone leaders was telling us about a pidgin
Bible he'd read, that said things like,
"And the Lord went to them and
said, 'I'd da boss." And then he said, "Now that's apostasy you can
laugh at!"
I pretty much died laughing. Maybe you
had to be there...
Anyway. Love you all!! Blois is
great! The mission is the best! Everybody go! And every member a missionary!
Get on it! Haha. jk. For reals though.
This reminds me. My district leader
found a store in his area that sells American stuff and he brought Dr. Pepper
for everybody at district meeting.
I seriously did not even drink the
whole thing and it did a number on my brain. My comp thought I was ADD for a
couple days. Note to self, avoid caffeine.
Ok, I have really reached the end of
my email. Promise.
Bye! Til next week! Don't miss me
too much!
Love,
Your favorite sister mish
No comments:
Post a Comment