Saturday, December 17, 2011

Soeur Larsen: Part XXXIII


Happy Halloween!
Hooray! I've been asking around, and I get mixed answers as to what French people do for Halloween. Apparently the grown ups don't do anything, but the younger generation is all set on making trick-or-treating a big thing here like it is in the States. We're gonna start it up :) I want pictures of Chris in his costume! Cute!

How was your week?
Daryl's an Elder?! That's so crazy! I'm so sad I missed that! Go Daryl!

Mine was the best ever, thanks for asking. We had a training this week in Paris (I go to Paris an awful lot, I realized...) with Elder Gonzalez, of the Presidency of the Seventy. It was SO good, and it was fun to see that many missionaries in one place! I've gotten used to being the only ones around. I got to see my entire MTC group, one of whom I haven't seen since the day we got picked up at the mission home, oh-so long ago! Well, all of us that came to this mission, anyway. The training was very good and very entertaining. I thought it was interesting that Elder Gonzalez talked about the same things that our Stake Presidency has been talking about, I guess it's a church-wide thing, this push on increasing the membership of the church. Not only increasing it, but doubling it. So we talked about helping the members learn how to share the gospel with their friends because, let's be honest, the whole world would rather hear the gospel from their loved ones than from two young foreigners in the street. As awesome and spirit-filled as we are. Elder Gonzalez and his wife did some role plays for us to show us how to share the gospel with friends. They were pretty cute and funny, those two. Want to hear the secret tips they gave us? First, pray for the chance to share the gospel. That should just be happening all the time. Second, when talking to people, always build on common ground. Third, be reading the book of mormon daily, so when people talk about problems or questions you can say, "you know, I've been reading a book that talks about that exact thing..." There you go. All the secrets you need to know to become gospel sharing fiends. I would recommend it, it's pretty fun.

Speaking of fun, I wanted to tell you about my favorite moment from this week. We have an ami who is married to a really awesome member, and who has been coming to church for about two years now, but he's scared to get baptized. We had our first meeting with him this week, and it was so fun! Being bold and testifying, and seeing the Spirit work in the minds of the people you're talking to, is the most fun thing in the world, I decided. Haha. He told us he was a tough case, and that the elders before us had told him he was a tough case, so he wished us luck. Soeur Williams and I just looked at each other and smiled. And then in our best, loving, sister missionary way, we then proceeded to use the scriptures to smash his fears into the ground and back him up against the wall and tell him that faith was the way to go. Baptize! (Imagine me saying that in a Nacho Libre voice). My favorite part, though, was when he read Hebrews 10:35-39 and was very quiet and thoughtful afterwards. I loved looking into his eyes and saying, I know you know this is true. I want you to know that I know this is true. I know the Spirit has and is testifying to you. I know that this is the right choice for you. And seeing him nod.
I love the knowing and the peace and the joy and the excitement that comes with being a part of this gospel. I love having a foundation that is sure and solid and which will never fall.

It was a hard week, the work here is going slower than I would like it to. But the nice thing about weeks like this is that I have more lightbulb moments because I'm more humble and less preoccupied and the Spirit can speak. And weeks like this make me appreciate the good moments more :) It also helps that me and my comps are best friends and we find ways to make everything all better! Haha. It's pretty much a party 24/7 with her. I decided I just need to find my "Mr. Williams", a male version of my comp. And then we will live happily ever after. Which reminds me, it's been really fun being in this little branch and getting to know all the members, and one of the questions we ask EVERY couple is how they met. Because we love love! Haha. And I LOVE hearing their stories, there's some pretty epic ones. Of course, when you speak the language of love and live in Europe, how could your eternal love story be anything else?

PS, mom and dad, thank you again for being the best parents ever. The more families I meet, the more I am grateful that I was born into the one that I was, and that you guys did such a wonderful job of teaching the gospel in the home, and of loving each other and giving us such a good example of how a marriage should go. I love you for that! I miss you!

It is taking a million years to attach pictures, so I was going to attach more, but that's all you get for now. Anyway, Blois is cute. You will like it when you come here someday.

Love you to pieces,
Soeur Larsen


No comments: