Saturday, December 17, 2011

Soeur Larsen: Part XXXVI




Happy Thanksgiving!!!
Happy Thanksgiving back. 5 points for the one who knows what movie that's from. Hint, the only movie I know SO WELL that I can still quote it after 13 months in the field.

Ok, on to bigger and better things. HAPPY THANKSGIVING!! Are you all going to Embassy Suites? Where's the feast being held this year? I'm so jealous. Well, not really. But I will miss you all and think of you lots. Speaking of thinking of you, yesterday we had stake conference (so good!) and President Poznanski spoke about the three keys to missionary success and he said the first was the faith and humility of the missionary, the second was how well the missionaries and members work together, and the third was that members should keep in mind the missionaries' mothers, who pray for them every day. That got some definite tears going. Thanks for all your prayers :)
So, things I am thankful for:

MY FAMILY! The best in the world!
The fact that I will be staying in Blois for Christmas! With Sister Williams! The Lord is too good to me.
The fact that our toilet is fixed!
My wonderful wonderful branch!
That the Lord answers prayers and works miracles!

Ok, so. This week was ridiculous. We slept over at a member's house til Wednesday, which was so fun. We stayed with the Ferreira's, a little Portuguese couple, and they are adorable and so so funny. And it was fun, I think Brother Ferreira secretly hoped our toilet would never be fixed so we could just keep staying there. And Sister Ferreira works for a boulangerie so every morning when we came downstairs she had an entire pastry shop laid out for us. We also got to ride with them to and from Stake Conference, which was even more fun. They just are so funny because Sister Ferreira teases her husband mercilessly and he either just laughs or pretends to not know what she's talking about. And he loves America, he just asks us all kinds of questions about it. And he likes to practice his english... "I want...aller en America!" haha.

Stake Conference was the BEST. It was in Angers, which is a little over two hours away, so they do the adult session in the morning and then everyone has lunch together, picnic style, and then they do the general session and then everybody visits because they're so excited to be with other Mormons! We left yesterday at 7:15 and got back just before 7 at night.  It was such a good conference, and it was so fun because our little family that we're teaching was there! And they loved it! More miracle stories about them later. Also it was fun because it's our mission president's home stake and so he was excited to be there and everyone was extra excited to see him. And we ate lunch with his family and visited with him and he met and talking with our little family and came over to us and exclaimed about what a beautiful family they were and said it was dangerous, being in the best branch and teaching wonderful people, because we'd never want to leave. I was like, President, don't even THINK about it. I'm not going anywhere! haha. Also, side note, I could go on and on and on about how beautiful France is. Driving through the French countryside yesterday was a dream, with the sun coming up and turning the trees all bronze and gold, while fog still wafted over the wide open fields and in between the little cottages and barns and cathedrals. I'm in love. So very deeply in love! That reminds me again, last p-day the Brouillets, a service missionary couple in the ward, took us to see the Cheverny castle. It looks like Pemberly! Soeur Williams and I linked arms and walked around the grounds talking in British accents. We're Jane Austen nerds.

Ok so, miracles. This week has been full of them! First of all, the response to our goal of 20 baptisms has been incredible. Every time we talk to members they talk about it, and how they've started talking to their friends and family and coworkers, thinking, "maybe you're one of the 20!" Also the hearts of all our amis are just melting like butter. The most incredible has been Maria. Maria is the ninja mom I told you about, with the 17 and 3 month olds. I found out this week that she's my age! Anyway, she's been having some cool experiences with prayer. Last sunday her husband had been gone since Friday and she doesn't have a cell phone so she had no way to find out where he was or when he was coming back. She was all alone and prayed that Carole, a member of the branch, would come over. She finished her prayer and up rolled Carole and her husband, who then were able to get a hold of her husband. Thursday she was all alone again, husband at work, elevator broken (they live on the 6th floor) and she needed to go get groceries. She prayed that she would run into us so that we could call someone to help her. Thursday morning we were walking to district meeting and we hear our names being called, and there's Maria. She explained the problem, we called a member who was there five minutes later to help. We wouldn't even have been on that street except that we'd forgotten something so we were behind. She told us all of this on Saturday, right after we'd read a story from the Liahona together about a woman's conversion story. We read the story and she kind of smiled and was like, that's wierd, that story really speaks to me. She repeated this a couple times and then said, you know, ever since you've talked about baptism I just can't get it out of my head. I feel like that word is everywhere. I heard it at church, and in that story, and everytime I open the scriptures. She looked at us and said, if I hear about baptism again tomorrow at stake conference, I'm going to take that as my answer. I think I need to be baptized. She and her husband will be getting baptized the 17th of December. Also they've invited us over for Christmas!

I just can't get over it. I feel like I was just watching Maria and it felt like the conversion stories you always hear about, and I just thought about how very little it has to do with what I do or say during the lessons. We're just there, we introduce the spirit, and then the spirit touches hearts. It's been the same with our other amis. Raphael was super interesting the first rendezvous, but more than a little skeptical of some of our doctrine and of the Book of Mormon. We gave him a section to read and when we saw him this week he had read it and then continued and he loved it. As he talked we realized he's been pondering Joseph Smith all week, and he said his only real question was whether his heart would be open enough that the Lord could tell him that our Church was true and that he could accept it.

Kevin and Alex are the same, the spirit has just gone crazy in their lives. First of all, they love us to death. This last week we made Kevin pancakes for his birthday (his request) and we talked about the gospel and how things have changed for them since we've started meeting with them. They talked about the spirit they've felt, Alex marveled over the fact that she actually wanted to read scriptures and looked forward to it, that they run home to be there in time to see us, that they feel like they're more patient and optimistic, that they actually have a desire to go to church every week, they're stopping smoking. This coming from a couple who is tattooed and pierced and, when we first met them, very cynical about life. I love them with all my heart. Sister Williams and I have just been watching all these changes with open mouths and overflowing hearts. All the Lord needed us to do was show a little faith in him.

I'm so so so in love with everything. Missionary work, Blois, France, our branch, our amis, my companion, my mission president and his wife, everybody in the whole world. I'm so excited for this transfer! Christmas transfer! I love Christmas! I can't wait for the Savior to come again!

Ps, our transfer motto this transfer is "Oh come, let us adore him" We're so in Christmas mode, haha.
I love you all! Thank you for all your prayers! I need to tell you more about the story of the 20 baptisms thing... someday... It's legit.
Til next week! Happy Thanksgiving! Have lots of fun without me! haha.

Soeur Larsen

No comments: