Saturday, December 17, 2011

Soeur Larsen: Part XXXVII


Hey sorry about not emailing yesterday! Don't worry, I'm not dead.

Yesterday was kinda crazy, it was Turkey Bowl day in the mission so all the districts got together and played football and ate and had district meeting and so we got to have p-day til 9 o clock. I felt like such a rebel. So we were in Orleans yesterday with our district and we didn't find an internet cafe close enough and thus didn't have time to email before our train came. So here I am today. It was probably up there on best Thanksgiving celebrations of my life. First of all, I have the coolest district in the entire mission. Half the district was in my MTC group, and one of them, Elder Costner, was in my original district in Versailles. Yay! Anyway, they're super cool. And we had an AMAZING Thanksgiving dinner, if I do say so myself. Our Tahitian district leader and professional chef handled the chickens (there were five of them) and my comp and I made pumpkin pies. Guess what? They don't sell canned pumpkin in France. So we made them out of an ACTUAL pumpkin, which we bought at the farmer's market behind our apartment. So, I basically feel really legit right now. And it was delicious. And we ate it in a church gym! So it was like being at home :)

This week I was stuffed with so much food, I don't think I'll be able to handle meat for at least a week. Thursday night we ate with the branch president's family and ate a TON, eating with members is ridiculous because they all expect us to eat as much as elders and I always leave feeling like I'm going to explode. Saturday night we had the best mangez-vous (a rendezvous where we eat, because the verb for eating is manger, that's your french lesson for the week, thank you and have a nice day) EVER. We were invited to a member's for dinner, but she'd forgotten that she'd been invited to another member's house, so she just invited us along. We turned up and half the branch was there, the family who invited everyone is from La Reunion (it's an island, don't know the English name) and so they invited everyone to eat reunionaise food. I think I am grateful I got called to serve here instead of there, but it was nonetheless a good experience. Haha. The best was just being with that many members, the branch is so close and they are all so FUNNY when they get together. I loved it with all my heart.

And then Sunday we were invited to eat with a less active member who is super funny and very frank. She's never read the Book of Mormon and when we try to get her to she says it's not worth trying. But she is, nonetheless, trying to get her Catholic friend to read it and join the church. Too bizarre. So we ate until we thought we'd explode, and then passed by an ami's house where they gave us a bag of apples and two slices of caramel apple cake, and then went to our branch mission leader's house for FHE and ended up eating crepes and they kept insisting that they eat more. So, when I get back and weigh 3 times what I did when I left, it is not my fault. Blame the loving citizens of Blois.

Well, that about sums up my week... haha. I promise we did more than just eat... The work is going really well, lots of little miracles, no big ones yet. We still haven't found that family the boys are praying for, but my faith is unfailing! So we're still looking :) Every time we see them it's the first thing they ask us.
I'm glad you all had so much fun WITHOUT me. I hope this week is great and I love you all!!

Love love love,
Soeur Larsen

No comments: