I don't like big decisions. Like, really big ones. They scare me. What if I choose wrong?! Oh the horror.
Now that I have you interested... the big decision coming up is what to do with my upcoming summer. I turn 20 this summer...that's a big birthday. The official end of my teenage years.
That's beside the point. What to do for a job? I figured out the amount I need to have saved up by the time school comes around again, and I discovered that I could save that much if I worked full time in the lab while doing a data-entry job and thus collecting double paychecks.
Problem: I have worked full time in this dungeon of a computer lab the last three summers in a row. And the last three school years (for added emphasis). 3 years of my life spent in this cold basement room. Playing solitaire. I had previously decided that this summer I was going to do something different and exciting.
At first I wanted to work at the Aspen Grove Family Camp, because that would just be freaking awesome. I would be outside basically all day every day, in the beautiful canyon. And I might possibly have been a lifeguard, which would mean I could return to school ridiculously tan :)
But then I discovered that wouldn't pay me as much as I need to save.
By this point I was officially hating money.
Then,
A new opportunity presented itself.
One of my very best friends in the whole world, Aubrey, told me she was considering a summer sales job and she wanted me to come. Slam on the brakes right there.
Summer sales?
No freaking way.
I'm not the salesperson type.
However, the job would be in Seattle, which isn't Provo, so that part sounded good. And it promised large amounts of money...I was starting to listen, though I was still skeptical.
Out of interest and support, I went to a couple of meetings, met the guy who would be my manager if I joined (he's awesome by the way, totally good-looking ,energetic recently returned missionary who loves to go off on the most random tangents).
It sounds legit.
As far as I can tell, it sounds like a good idea. I went to a training meeting and I think even I could manage to sell a few of these things. I know, don't freak out at me. Trust me, everyone already has.
SUMMER SALES?! They say. That's a stupid idea! You won't make any money! You'll come home broke! Summer sales suck! You can't tell me anything I haven't already heard.
The promise of money and the chance to get away from Provo for a few months are just so enticing to me...and I start thinking that yes, this is what I want to do. I'm young, I can afford to take a risk or two.
But then I think, I'm going to be moving to Seattle. In like, a month. And spending 4 months there. I'll miss Asher's homecoming. And I'll spend my 20th birthday, the BIG 20th birthday, knocking on doors. It's crunch time, I have to make a decision. Should I just stay here in Provo, where I'm comfortable, where I know what I'll be doing, and I know exactly how much I'll make? Or should I take this giant leap and go to Seattle to try and do the hardest job of my life?
YIKES.
Can I say that again?
YIKES.
7 comments:
don't do it. you'll regret it.
well it depends on what you are selling. Thads roomate did that with alarm systems and never had to work during the school year because he made enough each summer to cover tuition and all his living expenses, but he did work loooong hours.
It's a huge risk! It could be really cool and it could be really bad. Just decide "is it worth the risk?"
Aspen Grove. You can do sales in Seattle after you graduate, but you can't do Aspen Grove. AND my friend met his wife there. And he was smokin' hot.
It sounds like you're not sure you'll make money doing sales either. Do Aspen Grove, same risk but with fewer negative things.
I forgot to mention that Aspen Grove isn't a possibility anymore, the application date passed.
Boo.
Post a Comment