Coming straight off that wonderful weekend, and barreling towards finals week, I have a strange and wonderful energy. I'm sitting here in my little computer lab, grinning at people passing by, and thinking that life is a beautiful thing.
There are so many reasons running around in my head. I'll tell you about them in the order I thought of them:
1. I love the Priesthood Session of Conference. Not seeing or hearing it, because I don't, but just the fact that it exists. I love seeing the men of the Priesthood walking the streets of Provo in suits, heading to chapels and the Marriott Center to spend their Saturday night listening to the Prophets and Apostles, and learning to be better men. It makes me so proud of them. We joke about guys being the inferior sex, and my mom likes to remind me that guys are dumb(mostly because she doesn't want me marrying one anytime soon), and when I complain about this or that guy doing this or that dumb thing, my dad likes to respond with "TG. Typical guy." But on this night, as cars line up all down the street in front of my parents house, and as well-dressed guys cover the sidewalks on the way to the chapel, I remember how great they are, I wish I could let them all know how much the little act of going to Priesthood makes me love them. Thanks, guys of the world, for being the great guys that you are, and for trying to be better. I'm so very grateful for the good men of the church and the way they treat their wives and daughters.
2. I'm so grateful for girlfriends, who let me talk their ears off. Many people who see me going about my day know me as a quiet person. In large groups I don't feel a need to talk, I like to sit and kind of watch everyone else. But something I noticed about myself recently is that often when I'm not talking, I'm unconsciously restraining myself from talking. I love to talk and I love to participate and I love people. Those who know me best know that I can talk and talk and talk and talk and start talking faster and faster as I get more excited about what I'm saying until I get tongue-tied and have to stop. Those of you who read this can tell that I think I'm hilarious and just love to share my thoughts and maybe I love the sound of my own voice. That was a long intro to my actual thought, which was just that last night I got to talk to Aubrey and we can go forever. We have to make ourselves stop because we could talk until our faces are blue. I love those talks more than I can express. I think today is an overflow of that wonderful talk. I love real conversations and I'm so grateful for the people in my life that I can have those conversations with :)
3. I love random strangers who reach out to you. It makes me feel at one with the whole human race and I feel as if I could love and be friends with anyone and everyone. Examples: the guy from Delta who talked to me for a good hour and a half when I was doing a phone interview for my research methods class. He was one of the friendliest people I've ever met and I was laughing and laughing and the other students sitting around me were probably wondering what I was doing having fun while I was supposed to be doing serious interviews. My bad. Other example: I sit at a desk and in front of me there's a pencil sharpener, and often when people use the pencil sharpener (ps, who even uses real pencils anymore?) I just see them out of the corner of my eye and I kind of jerk up and say hi and they look at me like, "what? I just need to use the pencil sharpener..." and then I feel sheepish. But today I did that and the guy using the thing just smiled at me and then said, "that hat looks great on you". I'm not a hat person and I wore the hat in desperation to cover my bad hair, so that basically made my day.
4. I LOVE finals week. A friend of mine described it as a chance to watch his future hopes and job opportunities spiral down the drain, but I really love it. I get an adrenaline rush from it, and I feel like a real true college student as I have cramming parties and stress along with everyone else and try to remember everything. I love that we don't have classes that week so it's a week focused solely on studying and everyone is doing it together and it just is great. Maybe it's just because it's the last sprint before summer break, I don't know. But I am looking forward to it like you wouldn't believe.
5. This week is the last week of classes and I have all these projects and papers due and I'm so excited about being busy. Of course, that means I should be reading Mormonism and American Culture right now, and I'm blogging instead....I just had to get all that excitement about life out, so that I can focus and not be so antsy. Point being, life is a beautiful thing. And I am so excited about it. I'm 19! I have so much ahead. I'm having fun and being single and having no real responsibilities and finding things out about myself and it is lovely.
That was long, sorry :)
No comments:
Post a Comment